#8 - "Try Another"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
BrianMac
Site Admin

#8 - "Try Another"

Post by BrianMac »

The answer to the metapuzzle is a solo pastime other than solving crossword puzzles.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I have something, but no satisfying "aha" click.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Anita

Post by Anita »

That was a tough grid! As for the meta, I have a couple of ideas to explore this evening when I've got some more time.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Wow - that was one of the tougher non-Saturday Stumper/non-Club 72 grids I’ve seen in a while!

I have the meta answer, and it all clicks nicely, but I’m not entirely sure I got one of the pieces correct.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Hmm. All but one piece seemed solid. That much suggested AN answer, but one that makes that last piece look nonexistent and is not really perfectly described as "a solo pastime." So I reexamined the other pieces and found an alternative that makes it all work. Because there are possibly other alternatives too, I'll say 99.7% and submit.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Meta hard! I have an idea but not completely satisfied since not only solo. But neither are crosswords, as we muggles demonstrate.
TMart

Post by TMart »

I'm coming up with lots of answers for the meta. None of them fit the theme.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Meg wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:38 pm I have something, but no satisfying "aha" click.
I've got nothing... When I finished the grid, I was sure I knew exactly what I had to do and look for, and was certain that that part would be easy. I was wrong. Since then I've gone through multiple approaches, and several interpretations of the title, but I've got nothing (I thought I solved it in my sleep, but it -- if "it" was indeed "it" -- was gone when I woke up). I will say this though: PGW is pretty high on "aha clicks," so I'm going to keep at it until I feel it.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:31 pm
Meg wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:38 pm I have something, but no satisfying "aha" click.
I've got nothing... When I finished the grid, I was sure I knew exactly what I had to do and look for, and was certain that that part would be easy. I was wrong. Since then I've gone through multiple approaches, and several interpretations of the title, but I've got nothing (I thought I solved it in my sleep, but it -- if "it" was indeed "it" -- was gone when I woke up). I will say this though: PGW is pretty high on "aha clicks," so I'm going to keep at it until I feel it.
I didn’t send in my 80% answer. We'll see, but I have the feeling I went down a really genuine-looking but actually fake rabbit hole.
pgw

Post by pgw »

LesY wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:03 pm I have the meta answer, and it all clicks nicely, but I’m not entirely sure I got one of the pieces correct.
You did; but in retrospect, there was a much better theme entry and clue for that piece of it ...

pgw
Toby

Post by Toby »

I'm now closer to being sure of the answer, though one piece of how to get there is still a little uncertain. I look forward to discussing the pasttime.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Toby, is it still the not-only-solo answer? I had one of those with one piece hard to justify and another slight awkwardness, but then discovered that I could revise a different piece to get another pastime that I thought was solo, but I didn't know enough about it and it turns out that it isn't. I can defend all the pieces very naturally, but that gives me pause.

I've already submitted, so if anyone who also has submitted wants to discuss on PMs, I'm game.
TMart

Post by TMart »

TMart wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:33 am I'm coming up with lots of answers for the meta. None of them fit the theme.
Ok, I think I got it, but still not very confident.
TMart

Post by TMart »

TMart wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:10 pm
TMart wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:33 am I'm coming up with lots of answers for the meta. None of them fit the theme.
Ok, I think I got it, but still not very confident.
Just saw the confirmation (with a little help from a friend). This one is brilliant.
Meg

Post by Meg »

OK. I just found the other layer of this, which serves as confirmation of my answer. Very nice!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I've been pretty successful with the PGW puzzles, but so far I have nothing on this one. Sometimes a lightbulb goes off right after I post how lost I am, so I'm trying that now.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

FrankieHeck wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:25 pm I've been pretty successful with the PGW puzzles, but so far I have nothing on this one. Sometimes a lightbulb goes off right after I post how lost I am, so I'm trying that now.
Hope I'm next to you when/if that happens... I'm usually much better than this. One good thing that's coming out of it is that I've learned EVERYTHING ABOUT EVERYTHING ON EARTH... so I've got that going for me.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Al Sisti wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:12 pm
FrankieHeck wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:25 pm I've been pretty successful with the PGW puzzles, but so far I have nothing on this one. Sometimes a lightbulb goes off right after I post how lost I am, so I'm trying that now.
Hope I'm next to you when/if that happens... I'm usually much better than this. One good thing that's coming out of it is that I've learned EVERYTHING ABOUT EVERYTHING ON EARTH... so I've got that going for me.
I got it with a slight nudge. There is one tidbit I would never have known.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Cindy wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:20 pm
Feel free to pass along the slight nudge to me! :D
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

FrankieHeck wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:50 pm
Cindy wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:20 pm

Feel free to pass along the slight nudge to me! :D
Tell me how to private message.