#7 - "Piling Up the Hits" and #7a - "What Do You Want?"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
BrianMac
Site Admin

#7 - "Piling Up the Hits" and #7a - "What Do You Want?"

Post by BrianMac »

An extra bonus puzzle this week from PGW. The answer to puzzle #7 is a record label and the answer to puzzle #7a is a song. The deadline is Monday, April 29, at 11 p.m. Pacific. Enjoy!
Meg

Post by Meg »

I’ve made a major discovery on "Piling Up the Hits". I’m rather impressed with this new kid on the block! Unfortunately, I don’t see the path to the meta. Yet.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Got 'em both; loved 'em both. And yep, I agree; he's definitely a force to be reckoned with!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Meg wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:10 pm I’ve made a major discovery on "Piling Up the Hits". I’m rather impressed with this new kid on the block! Unfortunately, I don’t see the path to the meta. Yet.
oooh, I'm in the "just starting to see something" phase. I like this phase, when my excitement is building and my hopes haven't been dashed yet.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Forgot to mention another reason why I like pgw: it only took him 7 puzzles to fit my Crossword-friendly home town in a meta!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:20 pm Got 'em both; loved 'em both. And yep, I agree; he's definitely a force to be reckoned with!

So fast! I am following a trail on the record label and so far have nothing on the song. But you give me hope.
Anita

Post by Anita »

These have been great so far, loved last week's! Solved "What Do You Want" over lunch, but so far haven't had a glimmer on "Piling Up The Hits".
Hector

Post by Hector »

Reasonably confident I got the Piling Up answer, for a couple of reasons, but not seeing a truly tight way of getting there.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Well after a fresh look over a cup of coffee, I'm 100% sure of the song, and a 80% sure of the record label.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Got the song - good one! Still working on the record label.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

I enjoyed both of these and feel like I am 100% certain on both...maybe 98% on the record label.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I got the song (with a little help from Google) but don't have a glimmer of a clue on the record label. I am enjoying these puzzles, but I couldn't get through even the smaller grid without help--so many names I don't know!
Meg

Post by Meg »

I got the record label, but have nary an idea about that song.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Meg wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:10 pm I got the record label, but have nary an idea about that song.
I too was getting nowhere on the song, so I walked away. I tried it again when I got back home... and then the answer jumped off the page and hit me smack in the face as with a halibut; with cosmic flair and comic fanfare. I know you know that experience...
Meg

Post by Meg »

Ah yes, the halibut. Cosmically. Probably a cosmic halibut. I think I’m trying too hard.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Update: Got the record label too (I'm pretty sure). Excellent meta idea but it lacked a firm click for me--or maybe I just missed something! Still really enjoyed both puzzles.

(BTW, Meg, I like your tagline!)
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

I have the record label but not the song yet. I plan to look tonight but it is my 37th wedding anniversary.
Anita

Post by Anita »

After another look at Piling Up the Hits, over lunch today, I've got the answer! Gotta love those aha! moments!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Laura M wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:15 pm Update: Got the record label too (I'm pretty sure). Excellent meta idea but it lacked a firm click for me--or maybe I just missed something! Still really enjoyed both puzzles.

(BTW, Meg, I like your tagline!)
Update: I take it back, this meta is 100% and more brilliant than I realized! (Sadly I didn't figure that out on my own, but still I'm in awe.)
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

I got the label - clever!
Struggling with the song - going to do the walk-away-and-revisit-hoping-for-a-halibut approach.

-Matt