#6 - "Elimination Game"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
Toby

#6 - "Elimination Game"

Post by Toby »

Kind of a challenging grid, and I don’t see even a first step to the meta.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I googled my way through a lot of the grid, but I solved the meta quickly. (Though I wasn't entirely positive about one aspect of it.) I enjoyed it a lot, and would like to say more but can't do it without possibly giving hints, so I'm stepping away from the keyboard.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I see what’s going on and have an answer, but the place part is not as solid a click as the person or thing. So I may take one more look after letting it marinate for a day or two.

This one reminded me of another meta from a few years ago.
pgw

Post by pgw »

BarbaraK wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:44 am I see what’s going on and have an answer, but the place part is not as solid a click as the person or thing.
A handful of solvers have had that same experience, and for a few it has led to submitting the "wrong" answer (which I put in quotes because while I view the intended answer as best, I hesitate to call the alternative wrong if (a) the puzzle isn't giving solvers as clear a "click" as I'd thought/hoped; and (b) everyone is consistently submitting the same unintended answer.)

Saying much more might give things away; I'll address it in next week's post.

Barbara, the good news is that nothing is on the line but your own solver's pride - though as a fellow puzzle addict, I do understand that you might consider those the highest stakes possible ... :)

- pgw
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I thought this one was a lot of fun! The meta seems pretty straightforward, but only if you are familiar with a particular... experience... that I think is common but not universal. (I've experienced it quite a bit myself :-) So this may be a Kas 5 for some. I agree with Barbara that the place click isn't as loud as the others, but it's there.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

pgw wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:51 am
BarbaraK wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:44 am I see what’s going on and have an answer, but the place part is not as solid a click as the person or thing.
A handful of solvers have had that same experience, and for a few it has led to submitting the "wrong" answer (which I put in quotes because while I view the intended answer as best, I hesitate to call the alternative wrong if (a) the puzzle isn't giving solvers as clear a "click" as I'd thought/hoped; and (b) everyone is consistently submitting the same unintended answer.)

Saying much more might give things away; I'll address it in next week's post.

Barbara, the good news is that nothing is on the line but your own solver's pride - though as a fellow puzzle addict, I do understand that you might consider those the highest stakes possible ... :)

- pgw
I had a rationale for my "place" pick but no real click per se... so I'm guessing I'm in the "everyone is consistently submitting the same unintended answer" category. Still loved the meta!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Very cool puzzle! Pgw, thanks for joining. It’s really great to have you here! I’m glad to finally get one of these after so far having a hard time getting on your wavelength (this is only the second one I’ve gotten). I felt a pretty good “click,” but I think I see why people might be hesitant.

EDIT: Spoke too soon! :x :x :x Made a stupid mistake and submitted without double checking...again! :x Still, great puzzle. My careless error was not on the "place" so that was still a "click" for me. Also, since it looks like this may be one of the more active "Other" threads, I'm going to move this topic closer to the top of the page.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Challenging grid for me. Very stuck on the "place"...hoping to get an "A-ha" at some point

-Matt
Meg

Post by Meg »

It’s nice to come here and find comrades stuck in the same place. I sent in my answer with a rationale (lame?) for the place. Maybe there’s a more elegant way.

I just realized the joke in my first sentence.....
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Awesome puzzle! I think I got the place right - I get what's going on there, but see where there could be confusion.
pgw

Post by pgw »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:52 pm I had a rationale for my "place" pick but no real click per se... so I'm guessing I'm in the "everyone is consistently submitting the same unintended answer" category.
No, your answer was right. (It didn't come with any explanation of rationale but I can't think of a rationale for choosing that place other than what's intended.) My apologies to you, and apparently quite a few others, for whom the "click" was not as strong as I'd hoped. When I said "everyone" above I just meant everyone among the handful of solvers who've submitted an unintended answer - a healthy majority of submissions have it as I intended.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Meg wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:38 pm I sent in my answer with a rationale (lame?) for the place. Maybe there’s a more elegant way.
I did the same thing!
Z_S

Post by Z_S »

I got it! Good lord, pgw astounds me every week with his crosswords. Definitely a Kas 5 is what I’m thinking.
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

I thought this puzzle was brilliant! Very inventive. I can only see one solution for the place, based on the title of the puzzle.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved. But wow. I found the wrong answer everyone was referring to before I found the right one. I had to google but cannot say why without spoiling.
LesY

Post by LesY »

This is a fantastic puzzle! pgw please thank your sister - the ones with multiple layers are the best.

Got a later start due to business travel. Saw 2 of 3 pieces on the plane, then something relevant to the third piece the next morning, and then what I think is the finale. But like Barbara and others I'm letting it marinate. This one was too good to make a sudden false move at the very end!

Think I see both paths folks could have gone down for the place...but IMO, one has a number of problems the other one doesn't have...can't say more before the deadline...I actually tried to use one of them another way and got nowhere.

So I'm still marinating but think I have it.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Another really cool puzzle! I submitted an answer and a rationale. We'll see...

-Matt
LesY

Post by LesY »

I got it, too! Enjoyed the click when I finally figured out the place, probably because it was my third go at it.

Was so excited I showed my wife the puzzle and how it worked, which I almost never do. She really liked it! Also happened to mention this board and how others are trying to figure out the same thing. She just looked at my daughter knowingly and said "oh my he discusses the puzzles with friends on-line!" Well yes, yes I do.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

I was one of the two that Peter describes in his write-up who found a list of "Clue game weapons" from Google and stopped reading when I got to DAGGER, even though I had KNIFE already circled in my grid. :x I'm a woeful 1 for 6 on these, but hope to turn that around this week!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Yeah, I totally missed the room. And it was a fair technique. I just didn’t see it.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.