"Parting The Waters" - January 31, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
LesY

Post by LesY »

BethA wrote: โ†‘Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:00 pm On the beach! ๐Ÿ– ๐Ÿท (since last night, didnโ€™t have a chance to check in here til now)

AND, I experienced a new type of AHA!!! Hope itโ€™s not too corny. Home alone for a couple of hours, I was working away on the puzzle, trying all kinds of things and flailing around. My husband gets back home, gives me a kiss, and at that moment, a BLINDING flash of light lights up the path to the shore!!! It was like a fairy tale! A magical meta kiss.

Something else to add to my meta solving bag of tricks? ๐Ÿ˜€
POTW (Post of the Week)
Joe

Post by Joe »

Long time listener first time caller. Hi, all. I'm stuck because I'm seeing two very particular somethings that I canNOT unsee but I can't do anything with them. I can't possibly be alone in seeing them. Are they related to the meta?? Is that a fair question to ask here? I don't want to break the rules.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
juliet

Post by juliet »

Ashore! This bunny chase started off quick and easy, ended slow and difficult--altogether, very satisfying.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Joe wrote: โ†‘Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:12 pm Long time listener first time caller. Hi, all. I'm stuck because I'm seeing two very particular somethings that I canNOT unsee but I can't do anything with them. I can't possibly be alone in seeing them. Are they related to the meta?? Is that a fair question to ask here? I don't want to break the rules.
I sent you a message...you can respond to it if you want to ask about what you're seeing.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BethA wrote: โ†‘Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:00 pm AND, I experienced a new type of AHA!!!
Beth, may I borrow your husband for a quick second?
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

It's amazing how humbling these puzzles can be. Almost like they know when I'm getting too full of myself and it's time to knock me down a peg. I've been on such a roll lately. Even got last week's MGWCC solo and on Friday.

And now, this. Lots of ideas, none of them going very far.

And the Fill Me In meta - I see the first step, but haven't got to a character yet.

At least, I gather, this week's MGWCC is not a real week 5; maybe I can get that and turn my luck around.

Sorry puzzle gods! I didn't mean to be so arrogant. I really haven't a clue about how to solve these things. Please let me out of the penalty box.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

Solving the MGWCC gave me the boost I needed to jump ship and swim to shore! Once I noticed something it was a fun one!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

MaineMarge wrote: โ†‘Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:25 pm Well, this is a revolting development. Iโ€™m sitting here all at 6s and 7s, just crying in my beer with Isaac. A beautiful upcoming weekend now all shot to !^%?*#$. Count me #11 Bob. (Phil Simms too)
Sounds like you're living the life of Riley.
Jay
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

BarbaraK wrote: โ†‘Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:12 pm It's amazing how humbling these puzzles can be. Almost like they know when I'm getting too full of myself and it's time to knock me down a peg. I've been on such a roll lately. Even got last week's MGWCC solo and on Friday.

And now, this. Lots of ideas, none of them going very far.

And the Fill Me In meta - I see the first step, but haven't got to a character yet.

At least, I gather, this week's MGWCC is not a real week 5; maybe I can get that and turn my luck around.

Sorry puzzle gods! I didn't mean to be so arrogant. I really haven't a clue about how to solve these things. Please let me out of the penalty box.
You've got this one Barbara! Put it down for awhile and try a new method later.
Heidi
markhr

Post by markhr »

Took me a while, but once the light dawned it was a fun puzzle to work out. Very enjoyable. My chances for the long-elusive mug may be a bit better than usual this week. I can hope, anyway.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Iโ€™m with Issac. And with Barbara K.
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

This one looked juicy with possibilities, but after pursuing them all, I am still at sea. This puzzle is definitely ripe for all the watery fishy comments. If I liked hops more, I'd say I'm ready for a grapefruit Sculpin.
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

Count me on the ship with Isaac as well.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

I got it!
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Iโ€™m with Isaac.
Matt warned that the WSJ contest meta is more challenging than this weekโ€™s MGWCC. I hated to hear that.
Jack Sullivan
elan

Post by elan »

I'm going to stick with Isaac this week. I've spent today moving my dad into a nursing home, fielded calls from my partner's neurologist about his life-ending diagnosis, and still need to start packing because we fly to Australia on Monday for his niece's wedding and his last trip "home" to see his family. It's... um... been a bit much.

I'll see you all in a few weeks, I'm sure. Solving the metas has kept me sane in the last few months and I suspect I'm going to rely on them more and more.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

The waters have miraculously parted, so I have walked to shore. Now I really can live the life of Riley this weekend. ๐Ÿ™‹โ€โ™€๏ธ
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

waters have not yet parted, time to buy another round with my friends on the boat.

Isaac - time to take it up a notch - Margarita, rocks, light salt, Cuervo Gold.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

steveb wrote: โ†‘Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:43 pm On shore. Great puzzle!
Steve:. I've sent a PM requesting the help you offered on past WSJ CC PDFs. Thank you!

Past Crossword Contest combined grids, clues, & solutions are available from mid-February 2017 to the present and for the last few months of 2015, here:

Past WSJ Crossword Contests & Solutions
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

On the boat with Isaac, with no land in sight.
Did see some nice coral along the way though.
GOPR0444c_cr -180.jpg
Rufus T. Firefly