PCC#0 "It's All Fun and Games Until You Have to Pay Rent" (Mar. 9, 2024)

Welcome to Phil's Crossword Corner (PCC)! Philip Chow (aka Phil) is an auditor at NYC Dept of Parks and Recreation who makes crossword puzzles for fun in his free time. A new meta puzzle posts every other Saturday weekend on Crosshare.

Phil’s metas will usually include immediate nudges, a great tool for new solvers. You can reach him at pchow13@gmail.com
pchow13

PCC#0 "It's All Fun and Games Until You Have to Pay Rent" (Mar. 9, 2024)

Post by pchow13 »

Just a fun little mini-puzzle I made a while back.

[Level 1] Meta prompt: You'll get a monetary reward for turning one of the four corners (NW, NE, SW, SE) in the puzzle. Which corner is it and how much is the reward?

Format your answer in [CORNER] [AMOUNT]. For example, if the answer is the bottom left corner and the reward amount is $25, then the answer would be SW $25.

Note: the level is the intended difficulty I had in mind when I designed the puzzle, but may play differently since every solver has their own area of expertise... what one person may find easy, another may find difficult.

Have fun and keep in mind if you're ever lost at sea, google is your best friend (actually, I don't know if you'd get internet service in the middle of the ocean)
-Phil :mrgreen:

It's All Fun and Games Until You Have to Pay Rent
crosshare
PUZ
PDF

PCC0 Its All Fun and Games Until You Have to Pay Rent-1.png

Nudges below:

Hint #1: Monopoly board game

Solution below - SPOILER ALERT:

Answer explanation: Answer explanation: the rebuses in the four corners in the grid are a pictorial representation of the four corners of a Monopoly board... GO for "pass go," JAIL for "in jail / just visiting," CAR for "free parking," and POLICE for "go to jail"... in Monopoly, you get $200 for passing go (turning the southeast corner), so the meta answer is SE $200

Thank you for solving! Many thanks to @lbray53 for the "turn the corner" inspiration... please stay tuned for more puzzles at PHIL’S CROSSWORD CORNER 😜

Attachments
(2.13 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
(144.87 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Last edited by pchow13 on Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seattle DB

Post by Seattle DB »

Wow Phil, you uploaded oodles of puzzles! Thank you very much, and I'm sure I'll enjoy all of them!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Ohhh, this was clever. Loved this!!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
pchow13

Post by pchow13 »

Seattle DB wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:40 pm Wow Phil, you uploaded oodles of puzzles! Thank you very much, and I'm sure I'll enjoy all of them!
Thanks!! Yeah, finally got around to posting the old puzzles so they’re all in one place… Some of my earlier puzzles aren’t as polished - I didn’t have test-solvers back then but hope you still find them fun :)
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: Turned the corner - nice one!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Turned the correct corner...thanks for posting these Phil!
Looking forward to working my way through them.
Seattle DB

Post by Seattle DB »

Phil - Did anyone message you with the solution "SE $200", and then you gave them that money? (In Monopoly money, of course!)