"Elementary, My Dear Watson!"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

OTC. Fun one, thanks Al.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Off the couch - thank you, @Al Sisti
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:09 am
schmidzy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:44 am Got it! And had a good laugh in the end.

(Unless I'm missing something, I think the clue for 22A is not correct. ASLSP is one of my favorite pieces of musical trivia, but the composer is Cage, not Gage )
You are correct, which makes me wr... wr... that is to say, incorr... Okay, new clue for 22A: Careless misspelling of the composer of the piece called
"Organ2/ASLSP," which began being played in 1997 and is set to finish in the year 2640 (the next note is due to be played on Aug 5th, 2026, so make your travel plans!).
Music, muggles, meet-up, and schmidzy:

Calling all muggles within travel range of Columbus, Ohio! That is, all of Ohio, western PA, Erie, Pittsburgh, northern WV, eastern IN, Indy, Fort Wayne, Detroit, northern KY, etc., for a Muggle Meet-Up.

Lydia @schmidzy is a member of the Columbus Symphony Orchestra, which holds Coffee Dress Rehearsals Fridays, starting at 9 AM, before weekend performances.

I had the fun of attending this past Friday's, then the delight & privilege to share a few moments meeting Lydia afterward.

The next and final Coffee Dress Rehearsal of the season is May 17th at the renowned Ohio Theater. This will be a working rehearsal, with the conductor reviewing & correcting pieces after each are performed. Also, hundreds of students will attend. The price for tickets cannot be beat & parking can be had for $10.

The program for May 17th is:
Mendelssohn: The Hebrides Overture
Jessie Montgomery: Divided for solo cello and string orchestra
Tchaikovsky: Variations on a Rococo Theme
Beethoven: Symphony No. 2

We can meet during the 9 AM to 10 AM coffee & doughnuts session in the lobby, then possibly for lunch afterward.

If interested in attending, please PM me and I will keep all informed. Depending on the number attending and interst, I can make reservations at a recommended restaurant for after.

I cannot speak for Lydia's schedule, since she will be performing that evening.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

OTC. I laughed when I saw the answer. Thanks Al!

I'm a bit too far away for the Muggle Meet-Up.
Anita

Post by Anita »

Off the couch!
rjy

Post by rjy »

OTC... fun theme, grid fill and execution, thanks Al!
Ray
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Off that couch to go solve many more cases!

(Purrlock Holmes.)
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Loving the Sherlock pictures! Here's my Holmes section of my library:
Library.jpeg
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Ah, the puzzle is afoot, the mystery is solved, and I am off the couch. Nice one, Al!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
ajk

Post by ajk »

As a Holmes aficionado, was excited to see this, and looking forward to the rest of the suite.

If anyone is interested in getting their Sherlock fix via audio, Stephen Fry (a fellow Holmes devotee) did a spectacular recording of the entire canon. Highly recommend. Here's a link to Audible.com for anyone who wants to check it out.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

OTC. Loved these books growing up.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

OTC. Thanks Al!
Heidi
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Off the couch with a hearty chuckle. Thanks for the puzzle, Al!
Matthew
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:50 pm Loving the Sherlock pictures! Here's my Holmes section of my library:

Library.jpeg
I'll bet a shilling that somewhere in that collection is a Sherlock Holmes pipe tamper..... :)
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
hoover

Post by hoover »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:09 am
schmidzy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:44 am Got it! And had a good laugh in the end.

(Unless I'm missing something, I think the clue for 22A is not correct. ASLSP is one of my favorite pieces of musical trivia, but the composer is Cage, not Gage )
You are correct, which makes me wr... wr... that is to say, incorr... Okay, new clue for 22A: Careless misspelling of the composer of the piece called
"Organ2/ASLSP," which began being played in 1997 and is set to finish in the year 2640 (the next note is due to be played on Aug 5th, 2026, so make your travel plans!).
Interestingly, the .puz version I downloaded and solved this morning, before this discussion, accepted the correct spelling for 22A and therefore the incorrect spelling for 22D.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Excellent puzzle, Al! Thanks. Holmes is most enjoyable as is your sleuthing! OTC!

"Holmes the busibody. Holmes the medler. Holmes the Scotland Yard Jack-in-Office."

Great stuff.....
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

OTC...super clever! Thanks!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

ship4u wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:56 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:50 pm Loving the Sherlock pictures! Here's my Holmes section of my library:

Library.jpeg
I'll bet a shilling that somewhere in that collection is a Sherlock Holmes pipe tamper..... :)
There sure is, thanks to two very thoughtful Muggle buds!
Resized_20240422_173634.jpeg
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Off the Couch! I liked this one! keep 'em coming! Thanks, Al!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

lbray53 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:26 pm OTC. Loved these books growing up.
We were late to enjoy the beauty of the Sherlock Holmes stories. Whilst in London last fall, we visited the Sherlock Holmes Museum on Baker Street. I was hooked and came home to read the entire series of adventures, memoirs, Case-Book, etc. The whole shebang!

Then, we watched Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes on Granada TV, from 1984 to 94. Now, when I read Holmes, I think of Brett. It's wonderful.
Don & Cynthia