"Elementary, My Dear Watson!"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Al Sisti

"Elementary, My Dear Watson!"

Post by Al Sisti »

Good morning Muggles, and welcome to Muggle Meta Monday!

So yeah, I took a little break from writing metas and I wanted to get back to it. What I came up with is an idea for a four-puzzle suite, with one meta published about 5 or so weeks apart. The topic of the suite is one of my favorites, fictional detectives. No intimate or complete knowledge is needed on any of these sleuths, but a visit with Mr. E… I mean Mr. G… might be required for corroboration.

This first puzzle is based on my favorite of all the fictional sleuths, Sherlock Holmes… and that’s the only hint you’ll get until Nudge Wednesday. Please submit your solution by 10 PM on Saturday, and as has become the custom, I’ll post a couple snapshots of a leaderboard during the week.

One correct solver will be chosen at random and will receive an item of his/her choice from my swag bag (a Blarney Rebel Band CD, a Utica Club keepsake, or a $15 donation to a charity of your choice).

And now… the game is afoot!

"Elementary, My Dear Watson"

Crosshare
Puz
PDF
Spreadsheet

20240422-MMM-ElementaryMyDearWatson.png
Attachments
(3.16 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
(177.94 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
(458.58 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
boharr

Post by boharr »

Clicking the puz file led to: "The selected attachment does not exist anymore." I did get it on Crosshare.

FILE LINKS HAVE BEEN CORRECTED IN THE 1st POST.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Oh, boy. Right up my alley. (I hope!) BUT ... I can't download the PDF. Says it's not there. No longer attached. ???

schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Got it! And had a good laugh in the end.

(Unless I'm missing something, I think the clue for 22A is not correct. ASLSP is one of my favorite pieces of musical trivia, but the composer is Cage, not Gage )
hoover

Post by hoover »

OTC!
hoover

Post by hoover »

schmidzy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:44 am Got it! And had a good laugh in the end.

(Unless I'm missing something, I think the clue for 22A is not correct. ASLSP is one of my favorite pieces of musical trivia, but the composer is Cage, not Gage )
I think it's the entry for 22D rather than the clue for 22A, or maybe I just learned a new word!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

boharr wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:30 am Clicking the puz file led to: "The selected attachment does not exist anymore." I did get it on Crosshare.
Well that sucks... it worked when I tested it, but maybe it was on my own computer? @Joe Ross help me solve this first mystery! (apparently the PDF too, and if I had to guess, the spreadsheet as well).

Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

schmidzy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:44 am Got it! And had a good laugh in the end.

You are correct, which makes me wr... wr... that is to say, incorr... Okay, new clue for 22A: Careless misspelling of the composer of the piece called
"Organ2/ASLSP," which began being played in 1997 and is set to finish in the year 2640 (the next note is due to be played on Aug 5th, 2026, so make your travel plans!).
Last edited by Al Sisti on Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:34 am Oh, boy. Right up my alley. (I hope!) BUT ... I can't download the PDF. Says it's not there. No longer attached. ???
@Joe Ross, please see #7!

boharr

Post by boharr »

Off the couch, but maybe I should return. Nice one, Al. Thanks.
Darth

Post by Darth »

Off the couch. Cleverly conceived and crafted. Thanks for the fun, Al!
sherlock-lying-down-couch.jpg
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:10 am
ChrisKochmanski wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:34 am Oh, boy. Right up my alley. (I hope!) BUT ... I can't download the PDF. Says it's not there. No longer attached. ???
Al,

I fixed the first post. You posted this from a draft, which does not work with attached files. I reattached the PUZ, PDF, & spreadsheet files, then copied & pasted their new links over the old, no longer relevant links from your draft.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Off the couch. Fun one, Al!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:25 am
Al,

I fixed the first post. You posted this from a draft, which does not work with attached files. I reattached the PUZ, PDF, & spreadsheet files, then copied & pasted their new links over the old, no longer relevant links from your draft.
Thanks, as always. Guys, you have no idea how important Joe is to these things!!
Meg

Post by Meg »

OTC. Thanks, Al.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:27 am
Joe Ross wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:25 am

Al,

Thanks, as always. Guys, you have no idea how important Joe is to these things!!
Amen to that!

Nice job, @Al Sisti! Keep 'em comin'!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

OTC!

Thanks, Al. Looking forward to the next in this series.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:09 am

You are correct, which makes me wr... wr... that is to say, incorr... Okay, new clue for 22A: Careless misspelling of the composer of the piece called
"Organ2/ASLSP," which began being played in 1997 and is set to finish in the year 2640 (the next note is due to be played on Aug 5th, 2026, so make your travel plans!).
I think this has to be up there among the best clue fixes ever.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

OTC. Sweet suite. No sweat, so far.
Jay
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bird Lives wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:01 am OTC. Sweet suite. No sweat, so far.
I almost called it "Sleuth Suite Sweet Tooth," but I didn't. You're welcome.