"Let's Go Hunting" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"Let's Go Hunting" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? I must confess that I have never gone hunting, save for one memorable time when I was a child and Dad took us out rabbit shooting. Now rabbits are an introduced pest here in Australia so I guess we were just trying to do our bit to protect our native species. I don't recall being allowed to have a shot. But Dad must have been successful, because I remember we had rabbit for dinner that night. (It tasted a bit like chicken!) I don't know if this little story will help or hinder your search for the meta answer, which is what a hunter seeks.

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and unlimited attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Let's Go Hunting - Crosshare
Let's Go Hunting - PUZ
Let's Go Hunting - PDF

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Attachments
(185.82 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
(2.98 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
rjy

Post by rjy »

Had a reasonably decent answer but got tossed into the moat. I turned out to be better gator breakfast than I realized…
Ray
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

rjy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:15 am Had a reasonably decent answer but got tossed into the moat. I turned out to be better gator breakfast than I realized…
Probably the same (wrong) answer that I tried.
KayW

Post by KayW »

rjy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:15 am Had a reasonably decent answer but got tossed into the moat. I turned out to be better gator breakfast than I realized…
I'm right there with you! I wonder if we had the same idea.
I'm the one on the left ;) (actually that's an orangutan being rescued by a zookeeper in Vietnam in 2022. Completely unrelated to the meta - as far as I know)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :european_castle: Crawled out of the moat - post-enlightenment strikes again.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Darth

Post by Darth »

deMOATed. Thanks for the thrill of the hunt, Ben!
downloadcastle.jpg
[Château de Chambord - originally built as a hunting lodge]
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Crossed! Stormed!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I tried that no-good answer too (i assume) and now see a more clever path, but can only take 2 steps along it. Sometimes google just has TOO much info, y’know??
The other Wendy. :roll:
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Crossed the MOAT with a little help from my friends :) Thanks, @KayW!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Got it.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Crossed the moat and stormed the castle! Good one Ben!
Heidi
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I have since accepted an alternate answer on Crosshare. So if you submitted more than one answer, it's possible that an earlier submission would have been OK? If in doubt, please PM me!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Major rabbit hole, but finally the light dawned, and I saw my way clear to storm the castle.
The other Wendy. :roll:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

There is still some time remaining before the end of the first 24 hours of puzzling time. However, here's the list of the 18 successful solvers:

rfj
LarsCaine
Hector
KayW
rjy
Darth
I K Snamhcok
boharr
Pair O Ducks
Meg
Gutman
Laura M
heidi
Golem
Tom Wilson
woozy
HeadinHome
rvkal
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

MOAT crossed.

Not the answer, but the SIX-BAR CHAMPIONSHIP for hunter jumper horses is not correct, though I tried to make it so.
Last edited by lbray53 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Just 3 more solvers, bringing us to 21:

DIS
Ergcat
lbray53
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. There is a clue in 73A: One of 15 in this puzzle (and one of 6 of what you seek).

2. But the entry for 73A is BARROW! What's going on with that?

3. ROW is clearly "One of 15 in this puzzle"; so that must mean BAR is "one of 6 of what you seek".

4. There are, indeed, 6 entries that have "gained" BAR.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Moat crossed!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Moat crossed, castle stormed, but needed that final nudge to get me thinking straight. Thanks for the puzzle, Ben!
Matthew
woozy

Post by woozy »

Retaliation: By a Narrow Margin
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.