MGWCC #827 — “We Have a Winner”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Sitting here with the grid done and the googled list of winners. Now more googling until I stumble on the answer.

And this is a week 1???????
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MMe

Post by MMe »

I imagine there are many regulars for whom it was right in their wheelhouse!
One or more, for sure
Abide

Post by Abide »

MMe wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:36 pm Um, no-instructions will be completely impossible, right?
I accidentally printed the "no prompt" pdf, so went ahead and filled the grid. After a short amount of ponder, I thought [answer] would be a strong fit for the answer. But I wasn't risking a streak for it, so I read the prompt to confirm before submitting.

And the answer makes more sense than you'd think.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

After ship4u told me to redo what I had already done… got it quickly. Should not have taken this long but it is a 4 hour train ride from DC to the ACPT in Stamford, so I had the time.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Awaiting the beam... [Tricky for a week 1, but definitely do-able!]

... and I'm beamed at #149. :D
Last edited by benchen71 on Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:11 pm Sitting here with the grid done and the googled list of winners. Now more googling until I stumble on the answer.

And this is a week 1???????
My thoughts exactly, until I happened to notice something. I’m now beamed… even though I fumbled on my keyboard and hit “return” before completely entering my answer. I emailed Matt and explained. Here to report, he is understanding!
The other Wendy. :roll:
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I’ve beamed up.

Would be amusing if this ends up being prophetic.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

I'm beamed, but only after seeking a confirmation of my answer--on a week 1. Sheesh!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Abide wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:27 pm And the answer makes more sense than you'd think.
While the puzzle had an answer that was a bit "inside baseball," but was totally google-able, I'm guessing your comment is very inside baseball. Hope you share the reason (which I have a guess about) after the reveal.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

HunterX wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:38 pm
While the puzzle had an answer that was a bit "inside baseball," but was totally google-able, I'm guessing your comment is very inside baseball. Hope you share the reason (which I have a guess about) after the reveal.
Attachments
baseballlacesimage2.jpg
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

Beamed. My brain was not working for this one. Thanks to @lbray53 pointing out something during a group solve, it finally came together for me.
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

SamKat9 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:58 pm Beamed. My brain was not working for this one. Thanks to @lbray53 pointing out something during a group solve, it finally came together for me.
Sadly, I needed help figuring out what the thing I pointed out meant. Thanks SamKat9!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
markhr

Post by markhr »

Well, I solved last week's week 5, but apparently forgot to actually submit my answer. So upon checking the leaderboard this week, my streak of 120+ has gone kablooey. Arrgh...

Maybe it's a blessing. Who needs a dumb old streak to worry about, anyway?
At any rate, I did enjoy this meta. Very elegant for a week 1.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

ship4u wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:25 pm Awaiting beamage. I suppose this could be considered a week one. But not the grid!

Edit - beamed at #108!
twas an interesting grid

I use all the clues and everything Matt provides, what do you use/not use?
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Got the idea midair. Had to Google when I landed. Not a week 1 in my book.

Stay well all
Berto

Post by Berto »

Made it more complicated than it was, and almost got tangled up with a red herring, but submitted - awaiting beam.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

went down a few rabbit holes then went to a new fine dining mexican spot in the hood so i'm full of mole sauce and tequila. May need to ask for an assist on Sunday...
WabiSabi

Post by WabiSabi »

Will there be any special badge for submitting on 'Eclipse Monday'? 🌘
CptnCodon

Post by CptnCodon »

markhr wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:34 am Well, I solved last week's week 5, but apparently forgot to actually submit my answer. So upon checking the leaderboard this week, my streak of 120+ has gone kablooey. Arrgh...

Maybe it's a blessing. Who needs a dumb old streak to worry about, anyway?
At any rate, I did enjoy this meta. Very elegant for a week 1.
Oof! And on a W5 that you had the answer for. My condolences.

I guess spring is a time for new beginnings…
Edit:grammar
rjy

Post by rjy »

No way to get this no-instructions - I don’t think - but managed downs-only and figured out the metanism, just didn’t know how/where to apply it.

(…although in poking in here to see if folks thought this was even gettable, there were spoilers aplenty)
Ray