MGWCC #827 — “We Have a Winner”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Awaiting beamage - finally!
Heidi
Sfreedman67

Post by Sfreedman67 »

I've staring at the completed grid, totally stuck...anyone mind giving me a nudge?

Edit: got some help, thanks!
Last edited by Sfreedman67 on Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Got it with help from our seriously abbreviated Sunday night zoom crew… thanks again!!!!!!
ajk

Post by ajk »

MMe wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:36 pm Um, no-instructions will be completely impossible, right?
rjy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:50 pm No way to get this no-instructions - I don’t think
Note that in addition to @Abide, Joon mentions over at Fiend that he solved without instructions. Given that the mechanism clearly points to an EA answer, I suspected that some would be able to jump from there to Erik Agard, especially given the title. Obviously it would be tricky to know for sure though. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
MMe

Post by MMe »

ajk wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:13 pm Note that in addition to @Abide, Joon mentions over at Fiend that he solved without instructions. Given that the mechanism clearly points to an EA answer, I suspected that some would be able to jump from there to Erik Agard, especially given the title. Obviously it would be tricky to know for sure though. :)
Right. I wasn't aware of the ACPT coming up, so that a "winner" would refer to that contest would have been the very last thing to come to my mind -- but obviously not to Joon's! e.a. also came very close to being the winner of the crossword contest he was (as "a winner") the answer to. Would have been pretty "meta". :-)
ajk

Post by ajk »

MMe wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:17 pm e.a. also came very close to being the winner of the crossword contest he was (as "a winner") the answer to. Would have been pretty "meta". :-)
Yeah, I saw that. Would have been a nice touch. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Abide

Post by Abide »

My thought on this being not necessarily "inside baseball":
... if you are a Gaffney subscriber, you are familiar with the leaderboard, and are likely familiar with the fastest submitters, including Jangler and e.a.
Matt has commented before that Erik (e.a.) sometimes submits a logical guess within the first minutes. I estimate his first place badges are in the mid-double digits.
When I solved without the prompt, I think that helped me focus on the pattern faster. When I needed an entry for EA that was also a winner, I thought Erik was more likely that Ethan Allen or Eddie Albert.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Is it already Tuesday again?
WeHaveAWinner827.png
-Tamara
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Since Erik has also guest-constructed a MGWCC, he might be the first to both be a guest constructor and a meta answer! (I don't know if Gaffney himself was ever an answer, but I do think "MGWCC" itself being an answer a while back was hilarious.)
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
woozy

Post by woozy »

So... somehow, trying to do it with downs only put me in the blindset that I saw we had a chain of AY, YU, UO, OI, IE but I became insistent we had to build from scratch as though

AY
_YU
__UO
___OI
____IE
_____EA

were steps to building something. I just wasn't in the frame of mind to think we were supposed to come up with a six in a match. I thought I needed to find an winner whose name was somehow circular or contained all the vowels and y (preferably y,o,i,e twice and a,y once) are something. Felt kind of dumb when I couldn't even understand the nudges I got (which were basically "Well, don't you see the pattern?")
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.