MGWCC #827 — “We Have a Winner”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

MGWCC #827 — “We Have a Winner”

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC #827 — Friday, April 5th, 2024 — “We Have a Winner”

THIS WEEK’S INSTRUCTIONS:

No instructions given here since there are instructions-free solving options this week.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Cats are always the winners.

Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
ajk

Post by ajk »

Awaiting beam. Took a few beats. :lol:
ETA: beamed at #18
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Awaiting beam. Fun one once you see it.

Edit - #26
MMe

Post by MMe »

Um, no-instructions will be completely impossible, right?
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beamed!

With downs only. First time I’ve gotten the whole grid that way, with one good guess.

Fun!
woozy

Post by woozy »

This is a week one!?!?!?!?

I really should give up trying to do the downs only. Did okay, better than my average, but puts me in a weird blindset.

Stepped back. I see what I assume is the mechanism but couldn't get it to go to anything. Read the prompt and .... huh? Can't see how anything fits.

EDIT: Okay, I have a *guess* that maybe is a 78%er (given the size of the universe) but I'm sure not willing to risk my streak on it. May I run it by someone?

EDIT2: Oh wait.... My guess, on second thought as gone down to a 36%er.

EDIT3: Oh, just (didn't see) something else, I'm now rating my guess as a 6.27839125%er
Last edited by woozy on Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
ajk

Post by ajk »

MMe wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:36 pm Um, no-instructions will be completely impossible, right?
Completely impossible is a high bar. I could see a path to it, but it would be very challenging (and would necessarily require a leap of faith). In short, your point is basically correct.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Joe

Post by Joe »

Got it. I assume. Will be beamed aboard. I assume.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

No clue yet, heh.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

on the pad, awaiting confirmation
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Submitted a request for beam-up.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Okay.... I guess I have this. Not a happy camper and not liking it at all.

EDIT: Okay.... Blindset (as opposed to mindset) is going to be one of my words from now on. This was doable and fair, I guess, but because I was in a particular blindset it just didn't seem all that .... there... I mean I did everything I was supposed to and saw all I was supposed to but what was clearly intended to be an aha it all fits, and works, snap! moment, felt in my blindset, to be a "yeah? You put a dog in a camel suit and pointed from the window toy zoo train, and that's supposed to be funny, why..." moment.
Last edited by woozy on Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Waiting for that beam. Definitely a niche puzzle, although I imagine there are many regulars for whom it was right in their wheelhouse!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

woozy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:01 pm Okay.... I guess I have this. Not a happy camper and not liking it at all.
I assume this is pretty inside baseball….
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Awaiting beamage. I suppose this could be considered a week one. But not the grid!

Edit - beamed at #108!
Last edited by ship4u on Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Should be beaming up soon. Week one for me. Starting a new streak!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Stupid mistake. I filled the grid with Downs only but had to look at the prompt. Then I went to the ACPT site, saw a list of names, and chose the one that seemed to work. I did not notice that the list was a list of 2023 finishers in different categories.
Jay
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

A bit tricky for week one! On the board at #112.
woozy

Post by woozy »

schmidzy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:32 pm Waiting for that beam. Definitely a niche puzzle, although I imagine there are many regulars for whom it was right in their wheelhouse!

If it's going to be in anyone's wheelhouse, it'd be ours, right?