Unleash Your Inner Diva

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
Brainbow

Post by Brainbow »

I’ve been staring at this for too long. I must be making it more difficult than it should be. Nudge please? 😬

Edit: Got it. Thanks!
Last edited by Brainbow on Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

On the board at #109.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Forgot it was the first Tuesday of the month until way past bedtime. Started the grid before bed, finished this morning, and now I've submitted and I'm waiting for confirmation.

Edit:On the board at #125!
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Oops. I submitted a wrong answer. I think it fits all the criteria. Maybe it will be accepted as an alternative answer. The real answer is pretty good too.
spid4567

Post by spid4567 »

I think I have what looks like a promising first step, but now I am stuck. Could someone send me a nudge?
marvinthecat24

Post by marvinthecat24 »

I'm seeing a couple potential avenues, but nothing is clicking.
I could use a friendly nudge.
kurtalert

Post by kurtalert »

Oh man. Haha. On shore. Thank you, Google. I grew up playing music, but I have never heard this word before.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

I'm LAS here. Not a shred of a toehold. Will wait a few days before throwing in the towel though.

Stay well all
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

If I recall correctly (always a big if) when Pete started recording the meta answer each month, he said one of his reasons is that it would make him expand his musical horizons. Mission accomplished! In my early days with these, if I had an answer I wasn’t completely sure of, I’d listen to the song and ask myself if I could imagine Pete singing it and if so have more confidence to submit. Those days are gone. I couldn’t begin to predict what Pete will do next.

Great meta, and close enough to my wheelhouse that I saw it quickly. I’m curious to hear what @Beth Tyrpin’s alternate answer was.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Googly

Post by Googly »

HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Only just got to the puzzle this morning. Fortunately, it was... (the E-word).

Curious what song he'll use for the answer. Many options, I imagine.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Sorta had the right idea, wrong rabbit hole. Took staring at it for several days before the right path hit and I knew what the answer would be.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Turned out I had the right idea, but the wrong answer. Kindly @KayW let me know what the actual answer was and… noooooooope. Never heard the term and could not have guessed it in a million years based on what google actually turned up for me.

I actually had the mechanism before I finished the grid, it was just my lack of subject matter knowledge that turned me to the wrong answer.
GGX

Post by GGX »

Got ashore last night with a little nudge from @BarbaraK! I also saw an alternate answer that I thought was a decent fit, wondering if its the same one @Beth Tyrpin found...
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

On the board.
Perhaps Pete will demo his inner diva with an E over high C.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Picked this up again last night after 24 hour percolation. Saw Step 1, then almost took the Tyrpin turn. After 30 minutes, something triggered that there might be a word similar to [answer]. I could not have spelled the word correctly but found it after a little Googling.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Beth Tyrpin wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:39 pm Oops. I submitted a wrong answer. I think it fits all the criteria. Maybe it will be accepted as an alternative answer. The real answer is pretty good too.
I wonder if this is the one that was also my first thought. We'll see after the deadline!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

On the board thanks to a rabbit pulling me out of a hole. Discovered that had I Googled the random things I did have, the answer would have popped up!
Birdbrain

Post by Birdbrain »

Ashore! I'm now on the email reminder list so I won't miss any.
Robin P
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

Just scanning through today's youtube stream of the ACPT tournament. Looks like Pete Muller has taken on some of Will Shortz's duties. Good for Pete. But Will is there! And Will is emceeing the evening ceremony! So glad to see him. "46th American Crossword Puzzle Tournament Saturday Games"