90. Into a Corner

Puzzles! Puns! The occasional crosswordese! Solve a new meta at the end of each of month at https://punofakind.blogspot.com/
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

DrTom wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:53 pm With the kind help of @lbray53 I was able to find my way out of the corner.
I'm sorry, my apologies of not replying to your email! Just realized, please accept my sad cat picture as an apology.

Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
KayW

Post by KayW »

Will there be remedial nudges? Asking for a friend ;)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

KayW wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:04 pm Will there be remedial nudges? Asking for a friend ;)
Coming soon!

And soon is now! Hopefully, Mr. Gaffney will go easy on us on the WSJ today (Level 1 MGWCC for tomorrow), but we shall see!

Let's get you all home - this was definitely far tougher than even I had anticipated, with only 19 solvers so far.

7. A quick reminder: The letters in the "L"-shaped corners (respectively, N, D, U, and L) do matter. In fact, those are four of the 16 letters in our final answer!

8. But how to get the other 12? The thing that's hard to see, but your next clue: there is only one other instance of N, D, U, and L in the grid.

9. Those letters elsewhere in the grid, per the title, need to move "into a corner" - their respective corner!

10. But, okay - moving a letter on top of itself...how does that help get us the rest of the letters? Well, those other letters in the grid need to bring something with them!

11. Specifically, each of those four letters elsewhere in the grid need to bring three more letters with it, all to go into the respective corner.

12. More specifically, for example, the other "N" (in ENIAC) would bring its own 2-by-2 square with it to the upper left.

13. The 2-by-2 square in question in #12 should likewise have "N" in the lower-right corner (so PE/EN).

14. When this is done four times, you should have all sixteen letters placed, and they'll read in standard top-down fashion.

15. Yes, this was harder than I initially envisioned, haha. Some easier metas coming in April!

Mikey G

LarsCaine

Post by LarsCaine »

Needed most of the spoilers! Wow!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: Doh!!! Needed nudge 10 to see the fiendishly clever metanism in the corner. Well done, Mikey - thanks!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Needed nudges 1 through 12. Never would've gotten this without them. Yikes.
Matthew
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

MatthewL wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:40 pm Yikes.
That sounds like one of my teaching evaluations.

CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Got it. Whew.
Cynthia
rjy

Post by rjy »

Needed a bunch nudges sadly, but oh so impressed with your deviousness… stay twisted!
Ray
Abide

Post by Abide »

Not realizing there was a Page 2 with Nudges 7-15, I just spent 30 minutes on Discord getting spoonfed.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
hoover

Post by hoover »

I needed through nudge #8. Sigh.
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

I also needed nudge 8 to help confirm that was I was working on was the correct path...thanks Mikey!