MGWCC #826 — “Sound Alternatives”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:07 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:56 am MGWCC #826 — Friday, March 29th, 2024 — “Sound Alternatives”

NOTE: The clues on the regular PDF are a bit small this week, so I’m sending along both the regular one plus a bare-bones version whose clues are a little larger. Use either one you prefer (not a meta trick! Just don’t want to strain your eyes).

THIS WEEK’S INSTRUCTIONS:
This week’s contest answer is a six-letter word.
I just printed out both versions. Microscopic font 2 type vs very small font 6 type. :(

Do they have a senior citizens version?
I have resorted to using a magnifying glass! :)
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

On the board with assistance. Looks like I had the Easter badge already, so I snuck in ahead of those waiting to post on Sunday.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Beamed aboard since I already have the Easter badge. I never found a solid confirming click but that had to be the answer. I saw one comment on Discord that made the thing I was trying to do work. So, not a solo solve but I will take it for a fifth week puzzle.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Picked up the Easter badge the same way I picked up all but one or two of them—before I knew they existed. :lol:

So submitted after getting a vital tip from Discord.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Finally put the pieces together, although I realized I went about it the hard way! I've set an alarm so I hopefully don't forget to beam up tomorrow for the badge.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Off to a late start on this one. Unsurprisingly looks like a brick wall.

I've already written my retaliation meta.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Berto

Post by Berto »

Solved after going down an animal hole, dug by something far more terrifying than a wabbit… but @ajk pulled me from its clutches and I found my way safely to the tractor beam.
woozy

Post by woozy »

A true week 5. Never would have gotten it. Do not discuss any details related to your solving path.

(My retaliation: https://crosshare.org/crosswords/VlGQ0M ... lternative)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
dannykbernstein

Post by dannykbernstein »

And I was *so* proud getting a solo solve last week. Alas.
Would love a very cryptic nudge if anyone’s around!
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I have submitted solo and am awaiting the beam. I have one piece I am unsure of, but everything else fits tightly. However, with a Week 5, I am wary.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Beamed - after bidding farewell to Peter Cotton Tail, hopping down the bunny trail.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Whew. That was a week 5! Good one.
JonJonBovi

Post by JonJonBovi »

How does one join the Discord for future weeks?
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

JonJonBovi wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:58 pm How does one join the Discord for future weeks?
One needs an invitation. I've sent you an invite. :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
JonJonBovi

Post by JonJonBovi »

benchen71 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:15 pm
JonJonBovi wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:58 pm How does one join the Discord for future weeks?
One needs an invitation. I've sent you an invite. :D
Thanks!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

MikeyG wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:15 pm Beamed at Michael Jordan. Great epiphany with this one!
Wait, 23, 45 or 12? :)

I also speak better Gaffnese than Shenkish but I didn’t even bother filling this one out, too busy with multiple holiday things and at this point I’ll be shocked if I actually get a week 5 since I don’t know if I ever have got a “true” 5 as opposed to a makeup from a harder earlier week.

On the plus side, I have a lot of leftover pierogi (Varyenky)…
MountainManZach

Post by MountainManZach »

Beamed and available to give some nudges if you send me what you've tried
froggie2

Post by froggie2 »

How do I join the Discord group?
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

froggie2 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:58 pm How do I join the Discord group?
Invite sent.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20240329-MGWCC826-reveal.png

Please see @schmidzy's post re: numbering of the used syllables from the Theme Entries. I missed this.