MGWCC #826 — “Sound Alternatives”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
clonefitz

Post by clonefitz »

Was there a pattern to knowing which two syllables to pick out from each of the themers? Or to pick out which clues referenced the "alternatives"? I feel like I must have missed something.

Ah, just figured it out. The two digit clue number references which syllables! @Joe Ross , you will need to tweak a couple of your answers, same sounds but different syllables.
Last edited by clonefitz on Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

There is, syllables from the clue numbers:

12D (1,2) - PHYSIotherapy
25D (2,5) - psyCHOphysioLOgy
36D (3,6) - revoLUtionarY
41D (4,1) - ANtediLUvian
54D (5,4) - hallucinOGENic
61D (6,1) - INdianapoLIS
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

Oh well. I had FIZZY and JENNA and tried for a couple of days to find the others, but never thought of using unconnected syllables based on the clue numbers. (I did also try to backsolve from C___O_, but couldn’t come up with an appropriate word.)
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

For PSYCHOPATHOLOGY, I had only O, or schwa, as the 5th syllable, and ended up with KO-A as an alternate I was searching for. I eventually figured it must be ALE and 'cola', but back-solving for other A answers caused me to learn a new word! Considering AGED led me to Khoa, which is an Indian dairy food not dissimilar from cheese, but I didn't think it was 'like many cheeses'. I also briefly considered whether using it as a connector between 'Zip' and 'Dah' would give give you Zip-Ko-a-Dah, or 'Zip Code'. 😀
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

How is the answer, CARBON, related to the mechanism or the title?
Jay
KayW

Post by KayW »

Bird Lives wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:26 pm How is the answer, CARBON, related to the mechanism or the title?
I thought long and hard about that before submitting. At first I didn't see anything, and I was afraid that for a week 5, there would be yet another step. Finally came up with: CARBON is element #6. 6 theme entries, of 6 syllables each. And the prompt was "a six-letter word". Good enough for me.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

I made the mistake of beginning to solve this one on Monday due to work/travel. Asked a friend for a nudge Monday night, and dragged myself across the finish line with a couple of hours to spare. Hit the "not solo solve" button and submitted.

I find "sounds like" metas inferior due to the vast differences in how people pronounce words. Matt added an additional curveball beyond that: identify the syllables, and then identify how they are pronounced. Lots of people will disagree on both fronts.

Is it PSY-CHO or PSYCH-O? Depends on who says it. I had REV-O-LU-TION-A-RY in my notes, so I was looking for LU-RY (and not LU-Y/Louis).

I found (PHYS-I)OTHERAPY/FIZZY mainly due to the nudge and the 1/2 order of syllables. I would have whiffed on this one if I hadn't spotted the vague clue for BLONDIE (LU/AN -> LUANN). I entered C..B.. in my notes, looked at a list of words fitting that pattern, and backsolved CARBON.

I was never sure what the "A" was supposed to map to: I had PSY-CHO-PA-THOL-O-GY in my notes, so was looking for some rhyme of CHO O. Does the end of that word sound like "..ology" or "..olagy"? Depends on who says it.

But hey, it's a week 5, so it's supposed to be challenging.
Check out my meta crossword writeups on Crossword Fiend: https://crosswordfiend.com/author/conrad/
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

KayW wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:46 pm
Bird Lives wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:26 pm How is the answer, CARBON, related to the mechanism or the title?
I thought long and hard about that before submitting. At first I didn't see anything, and I was afraid that for a week 5, there would be yet another step. Finally came up with: CARBON is element #6. 6 theme entries, of 6 syllables each. And the prompt was "a six-letter word". Good enough for me.
It's there a prize or badge for backsolving? If so, you're the winner.
Jay
KayW

Post by KayW »

Bird Lives wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:41 pm
KayW wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:46 pm
It's there a prize or badge for backsolving? If so, you're the winner.
So sorry to disappoint but I found CARBON through the syllabic homophones. I meant that after I got to CARBON, I was afraid there was yet another step to get a word that tied to the title. (And maybe I should have kept my mouth shut here. MUCH more impressive to pluck element 6 out of thin air!)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

By backsolving I meant knowing what the answer is and then figuring out a logic that gets you there. You knew that the answer was CARBON, and you came up with a logical (sort of) explanation. I know that usually backsolving involves finding the mechanism, so this is slightly different, but not much.

Btw, I did the same thing -- thinking that CARBON might be an intermediate step.
Jay
JoDave

Post by JoDave »

Well at least I was on the right track but I could only find 4 of the letters and didn’t see the clue number connection. What’s up with the asymmetrical grid?
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Conrad wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:52 pm I made the mistake of beginning to solve this one on Monday due to work/travel. Asked a friend for a nudge Monday night, and dragged myself across the finish line with a couple of hours to spare. Hit the "not solo solve" button and submitted.

I find "sounds like" metas inferior due to the vast differences in how people pronounce words. Matt added an additional curveball beyond that: identify the syllables, and then identify how they are pronounced. Lots of people will disagree on both fronts.

Is it PSY-CHO or PSYCH-O? Depends on who says it. I had REV-O-LU-TION-A-RY in my notes, so I was looking for LU-RY (and not LU-Y/Louis).

I found (PHYS-I)OTHERAPY/FIZZY mainly due to the nudge and the 1/2 order of syllables. I would have whiffed on this one if I hadn't spotted the vague clue for BLONDIE (LU/AN -> LUANN). I entered C..B.. in my notes, looked at a list of words fitting that pattern, and backsolved CARBON.

I was never sure what the "A" was supposed to map to: I had PSY-CHO-PA-THOL-O-GY in my notes, so was looking for some rhyme of CHO O. Does the end of that word sound like "..ology" or "..olagy"? Depends on who says it.

But hey, it's a week 5, so it's supposed to be challenging.
Very, very good points.

As a native Chicagoan who doesn't think he has that much of the stereotypical accent (I suppose those on the Zoom calls could say yes or no on this) my mental map is definitely different on puzzles that require the homonym-style to solve than what I've seen the actual answer to be.
KayW

Post by KayW »

...and I can't tell you how long I tried to figure out what the heck "ISSIN" was before I added "L" to the beginning :confounded: