"Factored Out" March 29, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Did I miss it? Anyone win a mug this week?
OohLaAHA

Post by OohLaAHA »

BethA wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:47 am Kas 5 for me.

I tried many things looking at it off and on over the weekend, but I had problems understanding the instruction in 34A. I was unable to grasp how eliminating everything else that was not prime, could somehow not be equivalent to keeping everything that was prime. So even when the solution was published, eliminating all the letters in 1A, wiping out the first letters of 2D and 3D, just felt wrong.

I was also disturbed by the hint wording “is certain property”. It sounds a little like Tarzan-speak to me, as opposed to “a certain property”. But then, when the answer turns out to be plural, “a” would make it mismatch.

This was one of only a few rare occasions since 2015 when I could not even muster up a suitable wild guess, so did not submit any answer this week.

I am impressed with the final solution, I’m sorry I couldn’t see it. Getting the MMMM fairly quickly yesterday made me feel better, and I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s WSJ contest puzzle!

Just one of those weeks where I keep re-reading the hints brings to mind the following quote.

———————-

 “When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”
 “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.”
 “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that's all.”

Lewis Carroll: Through the Looking-Glass
My sentiments exactly! Thanks for expressing them so eloquently. This is my first time on any message board, and you all have seemed so supportive of each other that I was surprised to feel a lack of sympathy for those of us who couldn't quite wrap our heads around this one at first. (I finally figured out how to attach this.)
mconte.wsj

Post by mconte.wsj »

Hi all, Mike Miller is out on vacation this week, so I'm here to share the good news. Congrats to this week's winner, Joe Maher from Grand Rapids, MN!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I didn't notice anyone with a lack of sympathy for non-solvers.

If it has ever happened, it's very rare.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

mconte.wsj wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:53 pm Hi all, Mike Miller is out on vacation this week, so I'm here to share the good news. Congrats to this week's winner, Joe Maher from Grand Rapids, MN!
Could you get us the statistics? Last time Mike went on vacation, the statistics were lost. Number of submissions and percentage correct.

Some of us are nerds keeping track of such things
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Joe Ross wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:55 pm I didn't notice anyone with a lack of sympathy for non-solvers.

As one of those [all too frequent] non-solvers, I must concur.

This is definitely a place where people are sympathetic/empathetic for fellow travelers.

For the record, I was hopelessly lost on this one.

Also, I never begrudge anyone for getting the answers I would never be able to find. (looking at you, Mr. Grandmarshall of the parade :lol: )
Rufus T. Firefly
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

Bob cruise director wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:26 pm
mconte.wsj wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:53 pm Hi all, Mike Miller is out on vacation this week, so I'm here to share the good news. Congrats to this week's winner, Joe Maher from Grand Rapids, MN!
Number of submissions and percentage correct.
Or number of submissions and number of correct submissions even. We can figure out the percentage.
Merry Potter

Post by Merry Potter »

The conspiracy deepens: another winner from MN! M is the 13th letter- a prime number!
If I don't win a mug, I can always make one... ;) but it won't have the same cachet.
OohLaAHA

Post by OohLaAHA »

Joe Ross wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:55 pm I didn't notice anyone with a lack of sympathy for non-solvers.

I realize I didn't express myself very well. I didn't mean sympathy for non-solvers, I meant sympathy (or empathy) for the struggle of trying to understand the solution, especially as published in the WSJ. I was one of the people who could only make sense of the solution by figuring out the intersection of the prime-clued entries. Later, I was able to understand the crossing out of the non-prime entries first. Understanding the solution did not come easily to me at all. Oh, well, on to the next one.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

MikeyG wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:13 pm
Susan Goldberg wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:28 pm So, is it just me or does it seem that 2024 seems to have ushered in a raft of more challenging puzzles. Did these guys get together and decide they had made things too easy for us? Anyway, I’m still at the bar…
I rate each on a difficulty from 1 to 4, just because I really love data, haha. Average rating for 2023 is 2.3 (roughly 2.2 for Gaffney, 2.4 for Shenk). I have an average of 2.7 for Q1 in 2024. I make these ratings somewhat arbitrarily, so nothing is official, but what you said seems that way a bit thus far!
Aha! At least I feel a little less crazy!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bob cruise director wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:26 pm
Could you get us the statistics? Last time Mike went on vacation, the statistics were lost. Number of submissions and percentage correct.

Some of us are nerds keeping track of such things
I asked Mike, and he said

“we had 524 entries, 70% correct”

So no ugly hole in our spreadsheets 🙂
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)