"Form One Line, Please" - March 17th, 2024

Available by emailing a request to PandorasBlocksWMC[at]gmail[dot]com, these meta puzzles are distributed by email every Sunday. Pandora's Blocks crosswords are intended to spread the popularity of meta crosswords, however, they are not just for beginners and run the gamut it terms of difficulty.
hashbrown

"Form One Line, Please" - March 17th, 2024

Post by hashbrown »

Puzzle #99: Form One Line, Please
  • Difficulty: Challenging
  • The answer to this week's meta is a first name.
  • I think most solvers will be able to avoid Google, but I suspect a few folks may need to double-check a few things.
The deadline for this puzzle is 9:00am eastern time on Sunday, March 24, 2024.

The penultimate Pandora's Blocks puzzle!
-HB
Anita

Post by Anita »

Grid filled and there's something to notice, but we've not yet figured out what to do with it.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Finally, 🦕 me. Great puzzle Will!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Will, that was really something! Big thanks to @oldjudge!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Wow, that was something!

Note: I needed help from another solver. Whoever solved this on their own (oldjudge?), I salute you!

Thanks, Will, for a crrraaaaazzzy meta experience. I hope you’ll occasionally continue to delight us with your puzzle-making creativity.
Berto

Post by Berto »

That was incredible.
If these are getting more difficult, then the last puzzle is going to be a beast! (A T-Rex maybe?!)
🦖
boharr

Post by boharr »

I was blown right out of the box. I’m still numb. Thanks, Will.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Dino me! 🦕

I needed help, but finally got there in the end. I believe you got the difficulty rating on this correct. It certainly was a challenge.

Thanks, Will. It was a nice surprise to get your email this morning.
Cindy Heisler
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

I got there with help. Amazing construction! Thanks, Will!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I see some very interesting things but yet to figure out what to do with them. Title enigmatic.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Dino me! At last. So many twists and turns. And I most definitely needed google to help.
Thanks for the puzzle! Amazing!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

That was quite a workout! Thanks to @oldjudge for the assist!
Heidi
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :sauropod: Whew! DINO me. VERY clever metanism, thanks!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Hmm. I noticed something right before I needed to go make dinner, and I was sure that as soon as I got back to it, I’d have it. But now, after dealing with real life, I’m looking again, and what I saw absolutely has to be part of it, but it’s not going anywhere yet. Obviously more steps before or after. Hmm.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Abide

Post by Abide »

“I think most solvers will be able to avoid Google…”

This seems inaccurate. I had some of the basic idea, but after being walked through the solution, I think almost everyone would have to Google a certain thing just to get started.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I see something that MUST be a part of it, but I don't know what to do with it????
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I have been ably assisted to the answer. Tricky one! Very "week 4" Gaffney-esque.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
damefox

Post by damefox »

Abide wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:49 pm “I think most solvers will be able to avoid Google…”

This seems inaccurate. I had some of the basic idea, but after being walked through the solution, I think almost everyone would have to Google a certain thing just to get started.
This is my fault for not course-correcting @AnswerPfinder's expectations of what constitutes common knowledge. I did not need Google to solve it, but I think you're correct "most" is not the right word here.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Didn't need google, but did need a couple of different nudges. Fun stuff in the end, even if I'd never have solo solved. Thanks. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
rjy

Post by rjy »

Phew! Dino me… Idea and execution were brilliant, as are any solo solvers out there - I got over the finish line only via collaboration. Can’t wait for the podcast to hear how this was created!
Ray