MEOW #172 Not As Easy As They Say

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Cat is free. After two hasty submissions I finally settled down and tried the mechanism that I considered first but thought unlikely. What was I thinking? Maybe overthinking. Or underestimating the guile of our good doctor.
Last edited by lbray53 on Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
ajk

Post by ajk »

DrTom wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:55 pmSit back, look through the grid for things that make you ask, "why would he do that"
Followed instructions, and hey presto it worked. :lol:
Very nicely done. My only complaint is that mid-way through I was hoping it wouldn't turn out to be this mechanism, so that I could use it myself. :lol: :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Hoping to wake up to nudges! This puzzle had been resisting all of my meta-solving powers.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

NUDGES:

Puzzle creators LOVE to be topical and if their puzzle will be published on a day, or on a day before, an “event” they like to include it.

If you look through the grid, aren’t there a lot of symmetric words that begin with the same two letters?

The “dead center” clue/answer is soooo often important.

If you combine Nudge 2 and Nudge 3 does that give you a clue to any numbers?

If a puzzle creator gives you numbers, what do you do with them?
Last edited by DrTom on Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

benchen71 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:11 am Hoping to wake up to nudges! This puzzle had been resisting all of my meta-solving powers.
Sorry Ben, I was on US time and went to bed at a reasonable hour last night. Hope they help!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Solver board update:
23 hcbirker
24 lbray53
25 DIS
26 markhr
27 ajk
28 Danny K Bernstein
29 SJMcK

Hmmm, only 7 more people, this is either a lot harder than I thought or the WSJ, which I have yet to look at, is a bear.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Five more join the ranks of "it may not be as easy as they say but I got there!"

30 Mr Tex
31 hoover
32 Johnny Luau
33 JM
34 Jaclyn
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

DrTom wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:28 am
benchen71 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:11 am Hoping to wake up to nudges! This puzzle had been resisting all of my meta-solving powers.
Sorry Ben, I was on US time and went to bed at a reasonable hour last night. Hope they help!
This was perfect! I left my message before going to sleep, and the nudges were waiting for me when I awoke this morning. The first couple of nudges set me on the correct path, and I think the cat is now out of the bag! :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

EXTRA STRONG NUDGE:

You have probably found a common beginning IN six places. But if we used a different preposition and it was instead TO six places???
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Finally got it with a nudge from @DrTom himself! Thanks! Great puzzle and concept!
Cynthia
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Needed a nudge, but very clever. Thanks, Dr. Tom.
Cindy Heisler
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well, all the nudges finally helped a little:

35 Tom Wilson
36 benchen71
37 Dave C
38 omnilynx
39 CPJohnson
40 mwoychick
41 Cindy Heisler

I'm glad that it is getting some play and that people are liking it, you always want to see your "children" do well.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Nice one, @DrTom! I needed the nudges, but it all came together nicely in the end.
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

I needed the nudges to complete the final step. Well, actually I didn't--I suspected what the metanism was but was too lazy to do it! :lol: :lol:
Thanks, DrT!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Slowing to a trickle...but still solving!

42 Laura M
43 Capn Rick
44 Jeremy Smith
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

And in under the wire:

45 Ergcat
46 Sharkicicles
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

The REVEAL

Well gosh I thought that this one would be so easy, particularly for those of you that are math inclined. My plan, since this would come out the day before PI Day, was that you would look at the graphic and see Archimedes (the father of PI), sleeve adorned with six π symbols, struggling with his lever to move the earth (“Give me a place to stand, and a lever long enough, and I will move the world. ”- Archimedes) which was a large pie adorned with a few continents. Even the title was geared to make you think of PI, or rather since that is what they alwyas say things are as easy as.

Then you would solve the puzzle and see that there were 6 words, symmetrically placed, that started with PI (odd to have so many words start the same way) and notice the center clue/answer which was: “A location, like perhaps after a decimal point/PLACE” and say GOTCHA DrTom, PI to 6 places!!!

Some people know that off the top of their head but if not it is easy to find out: 3.141592. You now have one number…or do you have 7? What do you do when a constructor gives you numbers? No, not make numberade; look in the numbered squares. If you do that you get letters that correspond to those numbers, DEMERIT. That satisfies the meta prompt: “The answer is what you might receive if you don't solve the meta”

Not as Easy as they say graphic reveal.jpg

There was a slight detour for some; unwittingly I had clues that also contained a PI starting word. This was silly of me, and totally avoidable, but there all the same. That drew some down a tangential path (a completely different branch of math).

However, 46 off you did "ease" into the solution and a lot said they really liked it. I am always pleased when it is both a solve and an enjoyable solve because all of the constructors do these for your pleasure and enjoyment, that is our goal always, fun!