MEOW #172 Not As Easy As They Say

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

MEOW #172 Not As Easy As They Say

Post by DrTom »

Not as easy banner 2.jpg
MEOW MEOW MEOW

"Give me a meta long enough and a full day to solve and I will move the cat out of the bag..."

Drat, just as you feared, I'm back! I came up with today's puzzle after solving another meta I first tried to solve using the technique here. It did not work of course, "But it could", said I.

As stated in the prompt, the answer is what you might receive if you don't solve the meta, but I am sure most of you will. Though I'd put this as a solid Calico, maybe a Persian, I know some of you are going to see this immediately. I won't say who because that would probably tip it too much.

Still, it should be challenging enough that you raise a little sweat while you are trying for the prise (props to Mr. Gaffney for that lovely pun).

I want to thank @Al Sisti and @whimsy for test solving and helping me clean this up, @Joe Ross for help in getting the puzzle posted and of course all our moderators who keep the site running smoothly.

As is the norm, nudges Friday and reveal next Tuesday.

Not As Easy As They Say
crosshare
PUZ
PDF
spreadsheet

MEOW MEOW MEOW
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Whee!

Cat's run away.

(I can't believe you did this.)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Berto

Post by Berto »

Cat debagged!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

woozy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:41 am Whee!

Cat's run away.

(I can't believe you did this.)
Well I hope that is "I can't believe you did this" in an awe and wonderment context as opposed to a "you sold the cow for BEANS" situation (because we all know the second one was a giant mistake...)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Meg

Post by Meg »

This was a lovely solve! Thanks, Dr. T. The cat is licking Dorito dust off his paws.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Cat is free. Thanks, DrTom.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Cat-less bag.

Very nice! Thanks, Doc!
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Love it! Time for an early holiday celebration?
woozy

Post by woozy »

schmidzy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:23 am Love it! Time for an early holiday celebration?
But June 28th is still several months away!
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
LarsCaine

Post by LarsCaine »

Free! Thank you!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Cat has been desacked, thanks to the tiniest of nudges to correct my focus a bit. Thanks for the puzzle, Tom!
Matthew
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

OH that was fun to solve, and if you know me and know the mech/solution, you may be surprised I say that!! Cat done with the Greeks and their theories… now time for a nap.
The other Wendy. :roll:
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :cat: Cat is free. Fun one -thanks Dr Tom!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Wow, just wow, DrTom! Saw a first piece earlier today, and in collaborating later with the missus, I stumbled into your diabolical idea. Kudos!
Ray
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

rjy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:59 pm Wow, just wow, DrTom! Saw a first piece earlier today, and in collaborating later with the missus, I stumbled into your diabolical idea. Kudos!
So glad you enjoyed it. diabolical and entertaining that is what I was going for, I am always glad if I manage both.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HeadinHome wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:57 pm OH that was fun to solve, and if you know me and know the mech/solution, you may be surprised I say that!! Cat done with the Greeks and their theories… now time for a nap.
So glad you had a pleasant experience, even more so because it is out of your comfort zone.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Meg wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:38 am This was a lovely solve! Thanks, Dr. T. The cat is licking Dorito dust off his paws.
Ah the orange paw print problem. Happy that you liked the puzzle.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well, people are enjoying the puzzle so that makes me happy, but I think it may be a bit more difficult than I thought. It is not because it is so hard it is because the mechanism is odd. People are no doubt complicating the heck out of it (some comments I got confirmed that). Sit back, look through the grid for things that make you ask, "why would he do that", that it the usual way in. The solvers so far:
1 Al Sisti (T)
2 whimsy (T)
3 woozy
4 Berto
5 Meg
6 boharr
7 Cindy Weatherman
8 Chrish Kochmanski
9 Darth
10 Pair O Ducks
11 Hector
12 DCBilly
13 MatthewL
14 Lars Caine
15 Mike D
16 andeux
17 Head in Home
18 Carolyn
19 Tim
20 KayW
21 Gutman
22 rjy
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

After a nudge from the Marvelous @Meg I am debagged.
Heidi
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Well I still haven’t solved the meta, but I always have a supply of 14A for this recipe, which is a sure fire winner at any potluck or barbecue. Can’t recommend it enough, they always go quick.

https://www.seriouseats.com/frijoles-ch ... con-recipe