"Look After The Theme And The Meta Will Take Care Of Itself" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

MOAT crossed sans nudges. I think this was a week two once I got a foot on the drawbridge.

Inspiration came in the middle of the night.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Needed the nudges, but the moat has been crossed. Can't say I really stormed the castle -- more like knocked politely and they let me in. Thanks for the puzzle, Ben!
Matthew
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Needed those nudges! Thanks, Ben!
Sara
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

That was a head slapper! Should have had it sans nudges, but didn't (I almost did but did not know it!). Fun puzzle Ben.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Hmmm.... I have three very specific reasons jumps from a two to a four and was a head banger and not a head slapper but... I should probably extol the virtues that this was a cleverly (albeit extremely difficult) and tightly constructed puzzle.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Alvibu67

Post by Alvibu67 »

Crossed the MOAT! Terrific puzzle! Needed 3/4 nudges, but I’m calling it a win.

Thanks!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Needed the third nudge, though in retrospect not 100% sure why (as usual). Fun stuff, thanks.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :european_castle: Nudged across the moat. Thanks, Ben!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

MOAT crossed but only with help of nudges. Clever as always and clueing by Ben is always so much fun. The real earworm was not 47A but 48A yikes!! Make it stop! LOL

Stay well all
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

What a difference a day (and early nudges) makes! :D

hoover
woozy
HeadinHome
Berto
Pair O Ducks
DCBilly
I K Snamhcok
lbray53
MatthewL
Johnny Luau
markhr
Carolyn
Hidden in 3D
DrTom
Sharkicicles
DebbieC
kurtalert
SJMcK
Alvibu67
ajk
KayW
JM

That's 31 so far.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Crossed the moat ( with nudges )! Thanks, Ben! Very clever, as usual! And HAPPY PI DAY!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Nudged across the moat and back-solved my way into the castle. Quite the challenge with rabbit holes aplenty, thanks Ben!
Ray
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Solved with the nudges and a correction from @hcbirker.
Cynthia
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

I got confused. I had submitted a couple wrong answers and thought I had already submitted this word. It has been a long week! Great meta, Ben. Thanks!
Cindy Heisler
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

MOAT crossed! Nice one, Ben! Love the mechanism! ;)
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

I needed that third nudge, yet still submitted two incorrect entries. One piece was extremely difficult to find so I had to backsolve for it. All in all, a fun puzzle! Thanks, Ben!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Final solver update:

Laura M
Ergcat
LB800
rjy
rfj
Danny K Bernstein
frostyjhammer
CPJohnson
Cindy Heisler
Capn Rick
Jeremy Smith

That's a total of 42! And now, on to the answer reveal...
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Look After The Theme And The Meta Will Take Care Of Itself":

Look After The Theme And The Meta Will Take Care Of Itself (solution).png

This one played harder than I was expecting, possibly because Steven Soderbergh movies are not as well-known as I thought! "Out of Sight" is a brilliant movie starring George Clooney in one of his first notable movie roles and Jennifer Lopez in one of her first notable movie roles. I remember loving the non-linear narrative, complete with a couple of twists that come out of nowhere. So I thought the entry point for the solve would be reading the clue for 5D and discovering the answer was "Haywire" (a far less known movie, which I have not actually seen).

I also hope the final click for this puzzle was worth it! :D
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Nudged there finally. The title was way more literal than I was making it out to be! (Of course, we all know what's 20/20...)
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
hoover

Post by hoover »

benchen71 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:10 pm This one played harder than I was expecting, possibly because Steven Soderbergh movies are not as well-known as I thought! "Out of Sight" is a brilliant movie starring George Clooney in one of his first notable movie roles and Jennifer Lopez in one of her first notable movie roles. I remember loving the non-linear narrative, complete with a couple of twists that come out of nowhere. So I thought the entry point for the solve would be reading the clue for 5D and discovering the answer was "Haywire" (a far less known movie, which I have not actually seen).
The only Steven Soderbergh movie I could name without looking it up is sex, lies, and videotape.