"Look After The Theme And The Meta Will Take Care Of Itself" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"Look After The Theme And The Meta Will Take Care Of Itself" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? As per usual, we're gradually ramping up the difficulty as the month progresses. I had fun with the cluing so hopefully that means you will have fun with the solving! And then, of course, there's the meta to solve. About that: the answer to the meta is something that would be of benefit in solving the meta. So you know: the usual sort of "meta" meta. Good luck!

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and unlimited attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Look After The Theme And The Meta Will Take Care Of Itself - Crosshare
Look After The Theme And The Meta Will Take Care Of Itself - PUZ
Look After The Theme And The Meta Will Take Care Of Itself - PDF
Look After The Theme And The Meta Will Take Care Of Itself - spreadsheet

Nudges are here.
The solution will be posted Monday.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Darth

Post by Darth »

DeMOATed. Fun one, Ben!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Started out feeling impossibly circular because of the prompt and title, then turned challenging and fun. Very good, Ben -- Thanks!
And regarding how I was able to Cross the Moat -- well I doubled down on the Center of Attention in the grid, however, I reassure you --
Untitledzzmae.png
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Hoping for early nudges on this one. :shock:
Matthew
LarsCaine

Post by LarsCaine »

Crossed after going down a rabbit hole. Nice one!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Moat crossed. Nice one Ben!
Heidi
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

benchen71 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:00 am
As per usual, we're gradually ramping up the difficulty as the month progresses.
I am deeply concerned for the rest of the month! :lol:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

schmidzy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:34 pm
benchen71 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:00 am
As per usual, we're gradually ramping up the difficulty as the month progresses.
I am deeply concerned for the rest of the month! :lol:
I may have misjudged the difficulty of this one! Next week should be fine. :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Meg

Post by Meg »

With a big happy nudge from muggle Heidi, I’ve trotted across the drawbridge.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

The meta is tough so far but the grid is fantastic. I lived in a condo in Chicago for a few years that didn’t have any outdoor space for a grill so I used to sous vide steaks… cook them to medium rare in the water bath then get my cast iron pan screaming hot in a 500F oven. Put the finished steaks in the pan for about a minute a side to sear. It’s also a very good way to test out your condo’s smoke alarm system.
boharr

Post by boharr »

I went to grammar school with 44A.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Well, I'm having the opposite of most. I thought this sounded straight forward. But a brick wall hit me
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

OK, so I definitely misjudged the difficulty with this one. Just 9 solvers made it to the solution!

Darth
whimsy
Hector
Jaclyn
LarsCaine
heidi
Meg
Cindy Weatherman
boharr

Early nudges, here we come! :D
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. The central entry has a clue with a much less helpful meta hint in it than usual. I guess that means you'll need to rely on the puzzle title.

2. That said, there are a couple of clues whose answers are not exactly the most likely given the range of possible answers.

3. You need to put a word (the same one) after the four themers. The word is not "look" but it is a related word.

4. Two common meta techniques have been used in this meta: 1) alternate answers to other entries; and 2) once you have an answer repeat an earlier step!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

boharr wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:44 pm I went to grammar school with 44A.
My dad was born in the same hospital as Bob Newhart a few years later, and my mom went to the competing school across the street as Coach K. Sadly I’ve met neither of them :)
hoover

Post by hoover »

Dragged kicking and screaming across the MOAT!
woozy

Post by woozy »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Submitted but....

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Whew… thanks for those nudges; that was a wide, deep moat! In the mead hall partying like it’s 1024.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Berto

Post by Berto »

Tough Moat… drawbridge kept disappearing. Finally made it!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Crossed! Stormed!

Though not with Ben’s nudges. I didn’t see them, and instead pestered another Muggle. Well, maybe I should have been more patient, knowing that Ben had promised help. But sometimes PMing each other can be fun.

Good one, Ben! Thanks!