"SS Startup" by Cap'n Rick

Formerly known as the “Sunday Summer Substitute”, editor Cap'n Rick now takes the helm for 'Smooth Sailing Sundays'. As The Commodores sang about Sunday morning, the SSS will focus on easier metas. SSS will also support smaller grids and will mentor new constructors on request. Puzzles released each Sunday around 8am Eastern. Nudges released same day at Noon Eastern. New constructors are welcome.
Cap'n Rick

"SS Startup" by Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

lighthouse - forum.jpg

Ahoy, Muggles!

Welcome to the newly-rejuvenated SSS forum! The acronym now stands for "Smooth Sailing Sundays", and that's just what we're hoping to bring you - nice relaxing metas that shouldn't drive you too crazy. And just in case you happen to ssstruggle with a particularly ssstrenuous meta, we'll continue to deploy same-day life rafts, er, nudges to help you get to shore. You'll recognize many of the constructors featured here, and you may even see a new name pop up occasionally. One of our goals is to encourage new constructors, so if you have a good idea for a meta but don't know how to put a grid around it, give us a shout!

On a personal note, while I'm very excited to be the new SSS editor, I'm very sorry to see "Pandora's Blocks" come to an end. @AnswerPfinder played a huge role in my becoming a meta constructor a few years ago, and he has always been an encouraging and supportive mentor. I wish him well in his new "life after grad school" adventure. Good luck, Will! Hope to see you back here real soon!

So, let's get this party started and set sail with a meta by yours truly - appropriately titled "SS Startup". I'd like to thank @Abide, @Al Sisti, @boharr, @whimsy, @Wendy Walker, and @Joe Ross for testing and technical help.

The meta answer is a famous ship.

SS Startup
Crosshare
PUZ
PDF
Spreadsheet

Difficulty:
Gentle Ripple.JPG

Nudges are here.
Solution is here.

Good luck!
Cap'n Rick

P.S. - As luck would have it, I'll be traveling this week, but I will do my best to keep up with PMs, leaderboards, etc.
Last edited by Cap'n Rick on Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Sssolved - great start to my Sunday morning. Thanks, Cap'n and safe travels!
Cindy Heisler
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Sssovled - thanks, @Cap'n Rick!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Took a nudge to get the ship back on course, but sssolved!
Darth

Post by Darth »

Sssuper! Congrats, Cap'n!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Sssolved! Nice puzzle to SS Start the new version.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Sssolved! Thanks for the puzzle, Cap'n!
Matthew
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Sunday Nudges

Here are a few nudges if you're still at sea:

Originally, the SS prefix on ship names stood for “steamship”.

Well, "blow me down!" There are 6 symmetrically-placed SS entries right here in the grid.

And "shiver me timbers!" The clues for those 6 entries can fit 6 other grid entries.

Yes, waiters can also bring sandwiches, but that would be too obvious, right? Like the others, look for an entry that is clued in a different way.

Meta solving 101 requires examining the first letters of... Oh wait, "thar she blows!" :D

Please feel free to send me a PM if you're still stuck.
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

SSSolved without nudges. Thanks Cap'n!
Heidi
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :snake: Solved Sans Suggestions. Smooth sailing indeed - thanks Cap'n!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Thanksssss for a lovely Sunday romp!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Solved with the nudges, after some meandering off course for a bit. Fun start to the reboot, thanks. :)

And thanks for taking on editor duties!
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
woozy

Post by woozy »

Very frustrating. I tried to do nudge three for a very long time last night (pre-nudges) but just couldn't find anything at all. Not even one. Post nudge I see what they were and can't really see why I couldn't see them before (as a sour-grapes excuse I'll say a certain Olivia Jaimes would like to have a word with you but that really is a sour-grapes).
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

Thanks Rick!
I shouldn't have needed the nudges, but it was a little tricky and I hadn't heard of the ship but was familiar with why it's famous. (Not trying to give it away.)
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Nice one @Cap'n Rick . Thanks! A fun Sunday afternoon cruise!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Sssolved Sssans Nudges. Nice one! Great having a Sssunday meta once again. Thanks, Cap'n Rick!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Welcome back SSS. I've sssolved. Nice one as always from @Cap'n Rick
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Sssolved without nudges.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Sssolved w/o nudges. Completed grid this AM. Needed to let the fog clear before I could navigate the stormy seas to the answer. Thanks Cap'n.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Sssolved with nudges! I think the wind was whipping up the water slightly more than the Cap'n was perhaps anticipating.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock: