CHEF’S SECRET WSJ puzzle 3/9

Enter if you dare!
oldjudge

CHEF’S SECRET WSJ puzzle 3/9

Post by oldjudge »

Nice puzzle by Steve Mossberg. I haven’t liked his cryptics in the past but I may have to rethink this.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

I enjoyed this one by Steve Mossberg. I’ve been doing his bimonthly variety cryptics (by subscription) which are generally more difficult than this WSJ offering. My understanding is that he also creates cryptics for British newspapers which are beyond my capability.
Meg

Post by Meg »

This was fun and quite doable. I do sort of wonder how the WSJ is handling the monthly cryptic. A rotating bull pen?
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

I liked the cryptic.. I think a rotation of creators is ok. I like c&r but this was good too.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Very nice! I got to this one late. Got them all but 29D. I presume the answer is BAFTA but can't figure out the wordplay for BAF, unless it's a rather NSFW initialism?
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

KayW wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:15 pm Very nice! I got to this one late. Got them all but 29D. I presume the answer is BAFTA but can't figure out the wordplay for BAF, unless it's a rather NSFW initialism
“elevated” in a down clue = backwards?
I could actually do it, and it was fun. Appreciated having the detailed instructions about the variety element. Used that to figure out the last few clues.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
CromsFury

Post by CromsFury »

KayW wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:15 pm Very nice! I got to this one late. Got them all but 29D. I presume the answer is BAFTA but can't figure out the wordplay for BAF, unless it's a rather NSFW initialism?
Your "presumption" is correct.
It is a TA (teaching assistant) who is FAB.
:ugeek:
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo. - Virgil
Quand on lit trop vite où trop doucement, on n'entend rien. - Pascal
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Came late to this one. (Traveling last week.) Enjoyed! I’ve been doing Steve Mossberg’s “Square Chase” variety cryptics for what seems like a couple of years now, and I’ve liked those too. Though I’m glad this one played a bit easier than Steve’s typical “SC” because I’m still working though a stack of last week’s missed puzzles.
KayW

Post by KayW »

CromsFury wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:35 am
KayW wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:15 pm Very nice! I got to this one late. Got them all but 29D. I presume the answer is BAFTA but can't figure out the wordplay for BAF, unless it's a rather NSFW initialism?
Your "presumption" is correct.
It is a TA (teaching assistant) who is FAB.
:ugeek:
Thanks! So THAT's how "elevated" ties in. Doh!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DavyGravy

Post by DavyGravy »

I liked this one. Very tasty!
If I’ve solved and you need a nudge, you can PM me. Happy to pay it forward. ;)