MGWCC #823 — “Watching the State of the Union on TV”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Just got this printed and finished the grid. I see something but not sure what to do with it and it doesn't fit all the themes.... will look at it on my 14 hour flight and hope for enlightenment. At least I gain 14 hours.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Beamed up! Really enjoyed this one. Saw the mechanism quickly on the plane but had to get home to do some googling. Very excited for the solo solve.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20240308-MGWCC823-WatchingTheStateOfTheUnion-rveal.png
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

It was minor, but I was distracted by the fact that the capital letters in the somewhat convoluted (but, in retrospect, necessary) title rearranged to a consecutive string: STUVW. I was trying to do something with that for a bit, until I realized it was much simpler.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
woozy

Post by woozy »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:00 pm 20240308-MGWCC823-WatchingTheStateOfTheUnion-rveal.png
Why did you list the counties? Nothing wrong with it but... I didn't think they would be relevant. (Embarrassed to admit I knew Roseanne took place in Illinois)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.