MEOW #171 - March Air

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Bob cruise director wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:40 pm The cat is out of the bag and awaiting confirmation

either way, I nominate 38D as Clue of the Year - ROTFL
Thanks. I'm glad at least one person got it.
Jay
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Ran into this crowd at the pub the other night --- quite a line for the bathroom --
Untitledzzpeers.png
'Peers of the Realm'
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

On Day One, thirty-eight cats left their respective bags. Those reporting the escapes were:
Solvers.jpg
Surely others will join the parade in the coming days.
Jay
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Speaking for a friend, of course, but some of us are in need of nudges. :-)
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

benchen71 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:24 pm Speaking for a friend, of course, but some of us are in need of nudges. :-)
I find it hard to think of anything subtle.

When in doubt, Google . . . all together.
Jay
Berto

Post by Berto »

benchen71 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:24 pm Speaking for a friend, of course, but some of us are in need of nudges. :-)
Same.
The only thing I have in common with this man is that I starting out playing the violin!
But as a Brit, I did enjoy the 38d clue…
…and being married to a Michigander - as I say to my boys, “when you go into the loo you’re American, when you come out of the loo you’re American, but while you’re in there… European.”

Oh - and big thank you to Claudia / @whimsy for said nudge!
Last edited by Berto on Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Bird Lives wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:05 pm I find it hard to think of anything subtle.
Aha! Needed that nudge, but all is clear now. I should have followed my instincts more. I can see how @benchen71 's friend might have a bit of a tougher time. :)

Fun stuff, thanks.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Bird Lives wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:05 pm
I find it hard to think of anything subtle.

Oh, my friend thinks the cat is debagged! Thanks, Bird Lives. :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
woozy

Post by woozy »

Yeah, this subject seems to have come up a bit in trivia quizzes lately in last year (completely coincidental) or so I recognized it pretty readily but not immediate. It's hard to say if I would have a few years ago
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

This was one for the band nerds.
The answer was John Philip Sousa.

We didn’t have 76 trombones, but we did wind up with 49 solvers.

39. Alex Sisti
40. Mwoychick
41. Dow Jones
42. Berto
43. Gutman
44. ajk
45. benchen71
46. markhr
47. SJMcK
48. LB800
49. Danny K Bernstein

The five themers were all Sousa marches.
Solution b.jpg
Four out of the five are among the best known, the ones you might have played if you were in the school band.. Of course Sousa’s most famous is “The Stars and Stripes Forever” — too long for this grid. But running a close second is “The Liberty Bell.” If the title doesn’s sound familiar, the music will (the first two strains) if you’ve watched Monty Python’s Flying Circus.

Jay