"Location Finder" - January 17, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

the references to 14A have opened up a new maze of twisty little passages, all different.

now exploring them and there are 4 letters towards a very interesting solution and not an obvious way to produce the 5th (except by brute force).
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Solved, thanks to sharp-eyed daughter in Barcelona. MIL in hospital, so I had to ask for help.....no spare time for puzzles.
Cynthia
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

so. lost. at. sea. <ugh> my rabbit holes are multiplying like rabbits....
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Deb F wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:53 pm My rabbit holes have rabbit holes. I've managed to get myself so lost and cannot see the light. Nice to be among such distinguished company--speaking of which, has Al Sisti ever even met Isaac????? Just asking. Anyway, greetings from the sea.
From my records he has not. He has either been on the right beach 136 weeks that I have records for.

However we also have several others who also don't know Isaac or don't have a running tab with him

Since April when we started the blog (41 weeks) (this is off the ship, not necessarily on the right beach but most likely there)

Hector is 38 out of 39
Chris Kochmanski is 41 out of 41
Wendy is 38 out of 38
Tom Marturano is 41 out of 41
Tina Lippman is 40 out of 40
Les Yonce is 40 out of 41
Barbara Koehler is 39 out of 40
ky-mike is 40 out of 40
Meg Duvall is 40 out of 41
Eric Porter is 40 out of 40
Cindy is 40 out of 40 (and I have not heard from her this week)

And there are several others who have either missed 2 or have less than 38 submissions
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I was feeling particularly stupid and flummoxed, but it appears I am in fairly good company. I have looked at this many way and tried some outlandish things to make the connection, but to no avail. Too early for the big guns, Isaac I'll have a G&T.

If ever I look at the Muggle board and see Al has NOT gotten to shore I will have to assume that either he has been abducted by aliens (and why would they not want to probe him!) or the answer is impossible so there is no reason to even try.

Now when the aliens probed me they assumed their probe was broken because there was NO data shown. Alas the probe was working fine.... :(
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:28 pm
Deb F wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:53 pm My rabbit holes have rabbit holes. I've managed to get myself so lost and cannot see the light. Nice to be among such distinguished company--speaking of which, has Al Sisti ever even met Isaac????? Just asking. Anyway, greetings from the sea.
From my records he has not. He has either been on the right beach 136 weeks that I have records for.

However we also have several others who also don't know Isaac or don't have a running tab with him

Since April when we started the blog (41 weeks) (this is off the ship, not necessarily on the right beach but most likely there)

Hector is 38 out of 39
Wendy is 38 out of 38
ky-mike is 40 out of 40

And there are several others who have either missed 2 or have less than 38 submissions
Thank you, Mr. Director. I knew I could count on you to have the answer at your fingertips. And I bow to the illustrious group cited here. Nice job--if only the mugs were proportionate to the solvability demonstrated by this group. I am humbled to occasionally be in your company!
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

On shore, first experience of post-enlightenment :)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I may have misheard the telling of this legend, or I could be making it up, but Al once requested of Isaac a Guinness. Isaac forgot to use the two-part pour. Mr. Sisti hasn't been back.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
pookie

Post by pookie »

I have a possible answer that is stuck in my head. I can't justify it, but there it stays.
Think I'm stuck with Isaac for the duration.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved. Forgot to post. Remembered to submit.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

Hector is 38 out of 39
Wendy is 38 out of 38
ky-mike is 40 out of 40

I started at the beginning of Jan 2019 and since the beginning of April I've solved every one. That doesn't mean that I haven't kept Isaac company. I didn't solve this one until Friday night after spending about 2 hours on it. I've spent longer than that on a few of them. I get a little obsessed with these things. I'm always amazed when I see people get these in 15 minutes and it takes me an hour.

If you're a regular solver of meta contests, you can do this one. That doesn't mean it's easy to spot.
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

WOW! What a nice puzzle. I don't believe I solved it. On shore, very happily. Kas 3.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Ciao Isaac and thanks for the liquid inspiration. This was fun and definitely a step up challenge wise from the past couple weeks. Agree the aha moment is sweet. Enjoy the weekend all!!
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

Naaaa ... I'm giving up on this one. I need to wish Isaac -- and all muggles! -- a Happy New Year anyway and ask him to pour me a generous Monkey 47 and tonic. Perhaps inspiration will strike, but color me doubtful. Cheers to all! : ) ) )
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I finished the grid and definitely see the pattern, but am still on the ship with Isaac. Will keep looking at it periodically to see if the answer emerges.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Hector is 38 out of 39
Wendy is 38 out of 38
ky-mike is 40 out of 40

Bob, I was hoping I could FORGET that week. Cindy is having floors refinished. I’m sure she'll check in.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

I'm so close but so far! Can't get out of this rabbit hole. Drowning my sorrows with Isaac for now.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Meg wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:23 pm

Hector is 38 out of 39
Wendy is 38 out of 38
ky-mike is 40 out of 40

Bob, I was hoping I could FORGET that week. Cindy is having floors refinished. I’m sure she'll check in.
I was sure that she did and she has. How do you know that she is having her floors refinished?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:24 pm
Meg wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:23 pm

Hector is 38 out of 39
Wendy is 38 out of 38
ky-mike is 40 out of 40

I was sure that she did and she has. How do you know that she is having her floors refinished?
She’s psychic. Lol!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Carnac the Magnificent is a distant cousin.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.