"Ahead of Time" March 1, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

BeachParty.png
Ahoy Beach Mateys!
Lyman

Post by Lyman »

Ashore.
mikeB

Post by mikeB »

Ashore, although on a ship in Fiji. Sand feels good. Very nice meta.
dpl11

Post by dpl11 »

Ashore. Cheers, all.
Al Laubenstein

Post by Al Laubenstein »

Ashore!
Anita

Post by Anita »

On shore!!!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:24 pm Got it! I'm cleaning out old files and thought Muggles might be amused by this photo from 1970. My mother saved everything!
Champ.jpg
(With apologies to Lee Hazelwood and Nancy Sinatra)

I got some troubles, but I’m not depressed.
I’ve got my smile on and I’m perfectly dressed,
‘Cause when it comes to spelling, I’m just the best
There is in shoo-shoo-shoo, shoo-shoo-shoo
Shoo-shoo, shoo-shoo, shoo-shoo Sugartown
Jay
Char

Post by Char »

Solved ahead of time
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

LadyBird wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:01 pm Ashore!

After being on base ZIlch two weeks ago, and totally not hiTTING the target last week, it was nice to see the preCISe mechanism pretty quickly this week. Perhaps my solving skills aren't totally patheTIC. I'll have a pina cOLAda.

Ria de Alvor, Portugal, October 2023
I just wanted to say I love looking up the birds in your posts and learning about them!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Ashore4us! Slow going on the grid. The group was on page 4 by the time I completed the grid. Oh well. We finally saw it!!

Smithwick's please. Make that 2, I've worked up a thirst. Cellar temperature, please, not too cold.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Yoda66

Post by Yoda66 »

Finally easily ashore after 2 weeks at the bar. Time for gin & tonic. Hopefully ESPN has some chessboxing on.
“You must unlearn what you have learned.”
Darth

Post by Darth »

On Naboo. Landed "on time" per Galactic Standard and right after that @Yoda66 again. Happy "Leap Day" to those who celebrate!

NP: Our year consists of 368 days, divided into 10 months of seven 5-day weeks (making 35 standard days each month). Then add 3 festival weeks and 3 holidays to round it off.
Last edited by Darth on Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

Ashore. I thought it would be trouble based on Discord traffic, but a rare quick solve on a Shenk puzzle for me.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Don't get much ... simpler... than that. So simple one almost thinks you missed something. But I'm a firm believer you are not allowed to have a more complicated answer in mind unless you somehow tell us an adequate existing simple answer is not allowed.

So a simple drink.... Well, gin and tonic is simple. ... but saphire gin... and a rangpur lime wedge (not slice).... and with ice cubes 3 cms in opposite corners.
Last edited by woozy on Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Late start but on shore quickly. Hope everyone has a fab weekend.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:19 pm I think they might be, Meg! I just hope they matched my red dress -- my mother made it and even embroidered the flowers on the yoke.
Bob cruise director, I have only the vaguest memory that the winning word was "uncontroversial." I'm surprised my mother didn't write it down for posterity!
I still remember losing my middle school spelling bee due to flubbing the word "reconnaissance." I'm still not entirely sure I spelled it correctly, but my computer seems to think so.
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Got a little bit of a late start. Happy to be on the beach which is crowded now but will be jammed.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I'm ashore and ready for a cider at the end of my work day. :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
altosax

Post by altosax »

Solved and on the shore. In the shade with a Honey Brown Ale. 🍺
Required_ransom

Post by Required_ransom »

Solved! Very pleased with a quick solve on that one.