MEOW #170 Take A Good Look

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Cat is free! Thanks for the puzzle, @DrTom !

@BarbaraK: Hat tip for the idea to Google for it. I love musical theatre and spent all afternoon wracking my brain for what the implicit answer could be. I had several tries that I thought were defensible but as soon as I saw the entry I knew it was going to work. Can't wait for the post-reveal chat to share what people guessed!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

lbray53 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:24 pm
DrTom wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:08 pm It just occurred to me that I never thanked my testers. That is a real faux pas because believe me, with most puzzles, and mine in particular, they work their tails off trying to get me to make it a better puzzle. You would not believe the stuff I try to foist on you and they talk me out of. So for this one my guinea..rather testers were:
@Cinny and @lbray53 . Thanks guys for making me look good.

Ear to Purse.jpg
I had to work a bit to find the "hook" even though I was a test solver. But the cat is free at last!

I would like to add that I was very pleased to see that you "Doctored" your clues to the Dr. Tom level we have come to expect. There were some really good ones. I was particularly impressed with the 8D/9D combo.
Haven't solved the meta yet, but with the ORCAs coming up I think there's a couple of clues in this puzzle alone that could quality for Best Clue next year.
KayW

Post by KayW »

I think I see the thing from the Early Bird Special spoiler, but it's not leading me to an answer... yet.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
rjy

Post by rjy »

KayW wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:42 pm I think I see the thing from the Early Bird Special spoiler, but it's not leading me to an answer... yet.
Same - but it led me to an answer, just not the answer!

It's admittedly weak, so not lobbying for alternate...
Ray
woozy

Post by woozy »

BarbaraK wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:02 pm

You could ask google for a list of hit musical songs.
That's a pretty broad search.....

If I add the keyword I found I don't get much of anything. There was a movie with the keyword as a title and it has a soundtrack album (not sure if the movie was a musical) which ha 53 songs. None of which ring a bell.

My cat is not free. But it has taken up taiko drumming as a hobby (long story)

EDIT: Well, what do you know... a search on "hit musical songs" and basically looking at *all* songs yielded an answer! (Hadn't heard of it by the way but the musical is well known... although now that I think about it, I don't think I know the title of *any* song from it.)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Freed the cat, thanks to @DrTom's early bird nudge and @BarbaraK's suggestion. Great puzzle!
Cynthia
ajk

Post by ajk »

Got it quickly with the nudge, proving that even the musically inept have a shot. :lol:

Strong click when you see it, even with an implied answer. So if Google (or knowledge/memory) serves you well it should be no problem.

Also, the 18A clue is pretty great. :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Darth

Post by Darth »

The cat scratched her way out of the bag.... after so many feeble attempts at Googling "hit musicals"!
Finally entered something random into Crosshare and got the answer!?
download (28).jpg
[P.S. Pic is not intended as a spoiler. Taylor Swift just seems to pop up everywhere!]
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:02 pm I came up with the alternate answer using the Early Bird Special nudge. I was surprised that it was only the alternate answer because it seemed like there were two or three Easter egg-type clues pointing me in that direction. Nice puzzle, though. Thanks DrT!
I can understand that and see why you might have gone down that road, a case of me being WAY too myopic.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

sharkicicles wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:20 pm
lbray53 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:24 pm
DrTom wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:08 pm It just occurred to me that I never thanked my testers. That is a real faux pas because believe me, with most puzzles, and mine in particular, they work their tails off trying to get me to make it a better puzzle. You would not believe the stuff I try to foist on you and they talk me out of. So for this one my guinea..rather testers were:
@Cinny and @lbray53 . Thanks guys for making me look good.

Ear to Purse.jpg
I had to work a bit to find the "hook" even though I was a test solver. But the cat is free at last!

I would like to add that I was very pleased to see that you "Doctored" your clues to the Dr. Tom level we have come to expect. There were some really good ones. I was particularly impressed with the 8D/9D combo.
Haven't solved the meta yet, but with the ORCAs coming up I think there's a couple of clues in this puzzle alone that could quality for Best Clue next year.
Why thank you. I am humbled. It is nice to know that something about this puzzle went well.

Tom
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

ajk wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:02 pm Got it quickly with the nudge, proving that even the musically inept have a shot. :lol:

Strong click when you see it, even with an implied answer. So if Google (or knowledge/memory) serves you well it should be no problem.

Also, the 18A clue is pretty great. :lol:
Thanks for continuing to sing along Alan, and glad you liked the clue. I enjoyed doing it.

Tom
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well, a rocky start! Needless to say, I never intended this to be as difficult as it appears to be. I have 25 solvers which in the old days would have been great, but you have been spoiling me lately. Thos people who are now humming the desired tune are:

1 Cindy Heisler (T)
2 Carolyn
3 Hector
4 boharr
5 Meg
6 Cindy Weatherman
7 Jaclyn
8 Pair O Ducks
9 MatthewL
10 hoover
11 lbray53
12 Jeremy Smith
13 BarbaraK
14 edestlin
15 LarsCaine
16 Chris Kochmanski
17 Gutman
18 SJMcK
19 woozy
20 CPJohnson
21 ajk
22 Mg305
23 Tom Wilson
24 DCBilly
25 Darth

However, perhaps some more nudging is called for?

What is the puzzle's release date?

When you are about to do something dangerous or new what cautionary phrase do people often use?
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Just a dab of humor, saw this and laughed out loud:

"Of all the bears that could kill me the gummy has come the closest."
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

The cat is free! Yay!!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Cat out because of being turned upside-down and shaken. I am on the back side of lots of nudges this week. Love the show and the song (the originally intended show/song, not necessarily the one I submitted that was accepted also). It’s a great show to play the sound track to when doing a mountain of yard work, and you can belt out the tunes to your neighbors’ amusement.
The other Wendy. :roll:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HeadinHome wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:46 am Cat out because of being turned upside-down and shaken. I am on the back side of lots of nudges this week. Love the show and the song (the originally intended show/song, not necessarily the one I submitted that was accepted also). It’s a great show to play the sound track to when doing a mountain of yard work, and you can belt out the tunes to your neighbors’ amusement.
I belt them out whether the neighbor is amused or not. "I love to break into song I told him!", he responded, "If you had the right key you would not have to break in!"

Glad you like it (and them) it is my favorite!!!

T
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I took @BarbaraK 's suggestion and finally figured it out.
Heidi
KayW

Post by KayW »

I took all the suggestions and made 3 more incorrect guesses... er, submissions :lol:

Rather discouraging to someone who thinks she likes and knows musicals.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Cat is free! Thanks to early nudges….
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

KayW wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:31 pm I took all the suggestions and made 3 more incorrect guesses... er, submissions :lol:

Rather discouraging to someone who thinks she likes and knows musicals.
Kay,

There are no incorrect guesses. I am sure all of your submissions were based on solid logic because I am starting to see that some of the things that led folks astray were VERY plausible. I am just happy you arrived before the final curtain and that the cat is out and singing (probably to the tune of "Memory").

Memory, is betrayed by the word plays
I can dream of the old days
Life was beautiful then
I remember the time I knew what the answer would be
Let the memory live again

Every desk lamp seems to beat
A fatalistic warning
I sit and mutter but then the idea sputters
And soon it will be morning

(with my sincere apologies to Sir Andrew)
Last edited by DrTom on Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.