85. Jump at the Chance

Puzzles! Puns! The occasional crosswordese! Solve a new meta at the end of each of month at https://punofakind.blogspot.com/
MikeyG

85. Jump at the Chance

Post by MikeyG »

PDF and PUZ

Crosshare

(The main exercise I get is jumping to conclusions.)

---

One spring training win down, many more to go, hopefully! (Of course, @edestlin reminded me that you never exactly know that what means, haha.)

---

Puzzle #84 answer: MICHAEL JORDAN

Correct entries: 61, a solid Level 2 indeed!

@BrennerTJ's graphics are nothing but net!

Explanation: From top-right to bottom-left, we have six words that rhyme with BIRTH, fitting the title. These somewhat vague clues mean we likely have alternate entries lurking, and we do! Find those, which spell out JORDAN, the answer to the meta! Note also the BULL at #23 in Michael's honor.

I was in elementary school in the '90s, and out in Denver where I grew up, we...didn't have a basketball team then. (Well, we did, but everyone rooted for the Bulls - happy to see the Nuggets win last year, though!).

---

This should track as a solid Level 3, I believe. We continue the Winter Solvestice through the last week of March, where I'll do biweekly again until the Summer of Solves! (I'm behind on prizes as well, so look for the winners to past drawings as well!).

I'm also about two weeks' behind on metas, so I'll be sending those constructors video solves I know they cherish (or at least I'll send it to them anyway, haha).

---

85. Jump at the Chance

The answer to the meta is a 2-word television title.

Deadline is Saturday, March 2 at 1 pm ET.

Good luck, and may all your solves be beautiful!

Mikey G
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Meg

Post by Meg »

Nicely, nicely done, Mikey!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, #2, I'll take it even if I did not arrive by the front door. Tricky and fun as usual, it is great to see a master punster in full farce.

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Wonderful puzzle--thanks Mikey!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Nice one! Thanks Mikey.
Clark E. Tripe

Post by Clark E. Tripe »

Thanks for the shout-out, @MikeyG!
"I'm a paper tape guy in a punch card world"
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Gneiss!

Loved it. Thanks, Mikey!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: Very clever - thanks! Jumping with excitement to solve (with a bit of assistance).
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Whoa! I'm behind on my puzzles.

But you didn't explain the significance of the number #84 for that puzzle. Which is a good thing because if it's what I think it is then.... I don't want to hear it!
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

It took a nudge, but I got there in the end. Clever puzzle!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

woozy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:10 pm But you didn't explain the significance of the number #84 for that puzzle. Which is a good thing because if it's what I think it is then.... I don't want to hear it!
I'm not sure if there is one! Relevant only in that the player shared my birthday weekend, haha. And that's no Bull! (Actually, it is.)

woozy

Post by woozy »

Well, I see ... nothing....
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Berto

Post by Berto »

I was right there with you @woozy but then @benchen71 set me on course. Very clever!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Got it - thanks!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Still staring… may ask for a nudge soon.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Seattle DB

Post by Seattle DB »

TYVM for another great puzzle that is punny beyond belief! I always look forward to your crosswords because I end up laughing out loud multiple times during the solve, and then have a smile on my face for the rest of the day! Keep them coming, Mikey!!!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

HeadinHome wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:29 pm Still staring… may ask for a nudge soon.
This is playing a bit more like a Level 3.5/4 than I anticipated, so I think I'll be posting an initial nudge tomorrow or Tuesday or so!

Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Another brilliantly clued meta. I did get a nudge, but then immediately realized what to do. Thanks, Mikey!
Cindy Heisler
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

MikeyG wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:08 pm
HeadinHome wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:29 pm Still staring… may ask for a nudge soon.
This is playing a bit more like a Level 3.5/4 than I anticipated, so I think I'll be posting an initial nudge tomorrow or Tuesday or so!
Waiting….
IMG_0281.jpeg
The other Wendy. :roll:
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I think I have the first step. Then nothing.
Heidi