"Knowledge Base" February 16, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Grid done. Hello Isaac.

For the bird lovers here, here are a few picks of the local cardinal. It is not actually a cardinal but likes impersonating one.
IMG_1763[1].jpg
IMG_1764[1].jpg
IMG_1765[1].jpg
IMG_1761[1].jpg
IMG_1762[1].jpg
Apologies for hogging the page, but my message formatting skills are pretty much non-existent.
Rufus T. Firefly
Franky_T

Post by Franky_T »

Ashore, I think. Should be a fun Zoom call.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I am adrift on the bRINy sea. The fates are not aliGNEd for solving this week. I am on vacation with some college girlfriends and laCK access to a printer. I've never farED well with a homemade grid. Add to that the fact that we are only page 3 at this late point in the evening! I deDUce that I will be with Isaac all weekend unless my luCK drastically changes!

This is my 201st meta. That's an odd number to celebrate, you may say. But it is my 200th hidden bird. And this particular bird is #200 on my life list--with one exception/mistake I've seen all the birds that have appeared in my posts. (A life list is a list of all the species of birds you have ever seen--alive and not in captivity). I have enough birds on my list for another 9.5 years of metas.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Onshore! Wow!
Abide

Post by Abide »

Very impressive construction. That said, I agree with the strong opinion from @HeadinHome. At a minimum, extra information should have been provided. A meta like this could push fence-sitters over the edge.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

ship4u wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:42 pm Ashore4us. Fun? You gotta be kidding. Esoteric is more like it. :)
Yep!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

been on shore for about 3 hours now.

in my wheelhouse
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Ashore. 🍹🏖
-Tamara
Googly

Post by Googly »

RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

Spinning and spinning... and then the light came on quickly. On shore... Terrific construction Mike Shenk! Right up my alley. This demands a Keg Grove Holey Jeans... With the Lemonade Rim for sure.
CaptainVideo

Post by CaptainVideo »

Ashore.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Lost at sea. Seeing some things but so far no idea if they are a path to the beach or a rabbit hole.
Beleaguered Castle

Post by Beleaguered Castle »

Easy grid. I see what must be the first step. I see what must be an obvious hint.

Aaaaand I'm stalled. Stuck. Lost.

There's still plenty of time, but it doesn't look good for me.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

REMINDER: Today is Muggle Zoom Friday at 4:30 Eastern Time today. If you are finding that your "knowledge base" is in need of some direction, do not fear, your muggle friends are here! Everyone is welcome to join us as we begin our weekend with some muggle fun! (No knowledge required) :)

Click on the Muggle Zoom Room tab at the top of the page to join in. Hope to see you there!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

I see part 1. I see part 2. Working on parts thereafter.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I woke up in the middle of the night with an idea, and it turns out it was the right one! It was also going to be my WAG. Happy to be on shore; this one was WAY out of my knowledge base!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
STL-D

Post by STL-D »

Finally got it. Even though I had an inkling, would still be at sea without AaronT giving me a link to Discord.
Renee

Post by Renee »

dfhhddfh
Last edited by Renee on Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pjc

Post by pjc »

Beleaguered Castle wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:39 am Easy grid. I see what must be the first step. I see what must be an obvious hint.

Aaaaand I'm stalled. Stuck. Lost.

There's still plenty of time, but it doesn't look good for me.
I am in the exact same position. First step found quickly. Found a confirming hint later. And..... nothing I've tried since then works :-D

Have to revisit from time to time over the weekend.
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

I didn't get to solve this yesterday because it was released at midnight here in Amsterdam (I'm here for work), but I am on shore.
Check out my meta crossword writeups on Crossword Fiend: https://crosswordfiend.com/author/conrad/