"Knowledge Base" February 16, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Zoozm

Post by Zoozm »

We've been on shore since yesterday afternoon. Not exactly in my wheelhouse, but I pulled something out of the back of my brain that helped us solve. Overall a fun one!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Heidi
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20240216-WSJCC-GRA-JR-FYC.png
HeyMikey

Post by HeyMikey »

On the beach!!!

Whew! Submitted with five minutes to spare!
Last edited by HeyMikey on Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer my kale with a silent K.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Very clever! I was looking for coordinates but missed the hex part. But… maybe it’s just the way I see things, but don’t you think the origin (0,0) should be bottom left, not top left?
One world. One planet. One future.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Colin wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:05 am Very clever! I was looking for coordinates but missed the hex part. But… maybe it’s just the way I see things, but don’t you think the origin (0,0) should be bottom left, not top left?
Graphing yes. But with a crossword puzzle we always talk of the first, second, or 7th row so.... no.

(Also, I don't think there was any origin (0,0). The very first numbered square was (1,1) to indicate the first row and first column.

P.S. Decided not to submit in the end. The nudge I received was just a tad on the whack on the head with a two by four side. I saw the coordinates but didn't know to do with it. The word "base" made me think of bases but I figured that was just me being silly and I didn't see the HEX until well into the 18th hour of the second day. But that thing that I simply overlooked and didn't even register as a blip in my periphery vision.... that some of the words had only two letters. Complete ... whoosh....
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
HeyMikey

Post by HeyMikey »

Colin wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:05 am Very clever! I was looking for coordinates but missed the hex part. But… maybe it’s just the way I see things, but don’t you think the origin (0,0) should be bottom left, not top left?
My puzzle buddy and I had an extended discussion about that. We decided that the clue for 1 down referred to columns and rows, like a spreadsheet, rather than x-y coordinates, like a graph. We finally agreed the origin was 1,1 (not 0,0) and was at the upper left. I think that's why we didn't get to shore until 5 minutes before deadline. :lol:
I prefer my kale with a silent K.
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

Unless you put your x axis to the top (rather than the bottom) to stay consistent
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

So full disclosure, I was not on shore (not a surprise). I got that the 2-letter words were (row,column), and saw HEX (even looked up what BE, etc., was in HEX)...I ended up putting my (0,0) origin at the top corner (because 6D said "Attack from above") and the only letters were A, F and A (the others were black squares). That wasn't enough to form an answer. But then 25D said "Arrange in an orderly way," so I changed the coordinates to (column, row) and moved the origin to the bottom left, and then followed the direction at 37D ("Try again"). That gave me the letters C, L, U and T. Then, 65D said "Spell," so I spelled a phrase out of all those letters: FAN CLUB (but the B could have only come from using the "rearranged" (C,D) but using the "unrearranged" origin. That was a bridge too far). So yeah, kudos to those who solved it on their own. And a word to the nerds: "If you can say Happy Valentine's Day in Klingon, you probably don't have a need to send a Valentine's day card.
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

I picked up on the FE, AD, etc as being significant, but never had any idea what to do with them. Since they're all musical notes wondered if it might be a tune.
JerryF

Post by JerryF »

Will someone PLEASE explain?
steveb

Post by steveb »

In my first job out of college, way back in the Dark Ages of computing in the late '70s, I worked for a company that sold teller terminal systems to banks. You kids won't believe this, but it was before ATMs and long before online banking, so people actually had to go inside bank branches to transact their business. Paper checks were a thing then, too. Our computers, which would run an entire bank branch, had a memory capacity measured not in GB or MB, but KB. 64 KB, to be exact.

As a systems engineer, I got very good at doing mental arithmetic in hexadecimal (base 16), so when I saw the word "base" in the puzzle's title, that was the first thing I thought of. Seeing the two-letter parts of the theme entries using only letters between A and F seemed to confirm it. But then I thought, nah, that's way too esoteric if you need that kind of experience to understand it.

So I explored some rabbit holes involving chemical symbols, acid vs alkaline and groups mentioned in the clues before finally deciding, why not try the hexadecimal thing - it's all I had left. Imagine my amusement when it worked! Congrats to the people who got it early rather than taking 3 days like I did, but a solve is a solve.
Last edited by steveb on Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Clever but certainly a stretch! I was circling the beach apparently but didn’t execute correctly… I saw the 2 word “themers” with a 2-letter add on (59d), saw clue 1d about coordinates, picked up the hint at 62a Latin for “root” which is “radix” which is also seen in math for “base” and then thought of base 16, hexadecimal because of letters (But didn’t see 65d “hex” as a confirmation). Tried so many things! Even discussed puzzle with DD, Regfish, who is a Math professor. HOWEVER, we Did NOT put all these together in the correct way! Doh!
Congratulations to all who cracked the code! Consider yourselves NERDS!
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

I'm more of a science and history nerd. Math nerd, not so much (though I envy those who are!)
Congrats to everyone else who solved and extra kudos to those who recognized the need for hexadecimal knowledge on their own (definitely not me).
Last edited by SamKat9 on Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
Flamel616

Post by Flamel616 »

JerryF wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:31 am Will someone PLEASE explain?
The answer "HEX" hints at hexadecimal, or base-16. Instead of digits 0-9, you have 16 "hexits" 0-9 plus A-F. In this system, A is 10, B is 11, and so on. Each of the theme answers had a two letter word at the end, each consisting of only the letters A-F. Interpreting those letters as hexadecimal and pairing them as hinted by 1-down into Cartesian coordinates (the first being the column and the second the row) points you to the letters spelling out the answer.

I felt pretty lost when I first looked at it and didn't ever go back to try to solve, but I think I actually would have gotten this one if I had tried harder. I was already thinking of a different number base (from Knowledge Base) and definitely was clues into the coordinates. Guess that's on me for being discouraged of late.
Last edited by Flamel616 on Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all — the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.
steveb

Post by steveb »

JerryF wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:31 am Will someone PLEASE explain?
In base 16, aka hexadecimal ("hex" for short), the numbers 10-15 are denoted by the letters A-F: A=10, B=11, C=12, D=13, E=14, F=15.

The answer is derived by numbering the columns and rows 1-F in hexadecimal, as shown by @hcbirker in comment #204. Then use the two-letter parts of the 5 theme answers as coordinates (column, then row, as suggested by 1D) to locate the letters of the answer.

I hope this helps. if you're thinking you'd have to be a nerd to get this one, I don't disagree!
meowmiao71

Post by meowmiao71 »

..nope. I had zero chance of solving this when I still need my toes to count to twenty.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

So that’s what the reference to “base” in the title meant!
Maybe not in everybody’s wheelhouse (certainly not mine) but I applaud the construction.
I am from the pre-computer age. My math classes never covered anything like this.
A chance to learn something new!👍
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Amanda Hugginkiss

Post by Amanda Hugginkiss »

So the two-letter IT in OVERIT (14-across) wasn’t one of the themers?
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

My sympathies to those who don't have a background or interest in math or programming! Here's how I solved this:

Solution in base sixteen code
might feel like an onerous load,
with memories of trauma
from math classroom drama
where tears and epithets flowed.

While noticing “base” and “hex”,
Math muscles began to flex,
I spotted each double,
without too much trouble
but didn’t know what to do next.

So now I began to complain:
Conversions done in vain!