MEOW #168: My Heart Will Go On

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Fun one, @DrTom!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :cat: :heart: Cat is freed. A purr-fect meta for today - thanks, Tom!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Happy Valentines Day, friends! Thanks Dr. Tom for a light-hearted little break in my day.
The other Wendy. :roll:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well, my Valentine's Day present was LOTS better than candy:

1 whimsy
2 hector
3 benchen71
4 LindaPRmaven
5 Dow Jones
6 Danny K Bernstein
7 Jeremy Smith
8 Laura M
9 Berto
10 Cindy Heisler
11 Pair O Ducks
12 LarsCaine
13 boharr
14 Mr Tex
15 DCBilly
16 kymike
17 hoover
18 Meg
19 Mwoychick
20 edestlin
21 MatthewL
22 ergcat
23 CPJohnson
24 DIS
25 Bird Lives
26 lbray53
27 ajk
28 heidi
29 Carolyn
30 Cindy Weatherman
31 kurtalert
32 JM
33 ChrisKochmanski
34 AxelPlays
35 Schmeel
36 DebbieC
37 frostyjhammer
38 Darth
39 LB800
40 Dave C
41 Philip Chow
42 woozy
43 Tim
44 andeux
45 Cap'n Ricl
46 SJMcK
47 KayW
48 rvkal
49 HeadinHome
50 Jaclyn
51 BarbaraK

That is definitely a record for one day for me. It is so funny because this one all came together in about an hour or so from "Hmm I wonder" to "Ok, last clue done". Sometimes you just gotta have heart...
candy hearts.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Late solve, but fun! Cheers, DrTom and all you muggles!
Ray
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

DrTom wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:55 pm
Untitledzzhearts.png

I found Waldo(s)!!

Might be the only puzzle I solve! On vacation, and not only having trouble solving some of the metas since our long drawn-out arrival (but we did get away before our original flight was canceled!) but also with some features of crosshare and puz. So I'll be seeing you when and where I see you! :P
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

And the hits just keep on coming:

52 Gutman
53 markhr
54 rjy
55 Deb W
56 tyrpmom
57 Jim23809
58 Aerion
59 Johnny Luau
60 emmie

This is on track to be my most solved!!! (and DARN I wished now I HAD hid a Waldo in the candy hearts!!!)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HeadinHome wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:15 pm Happy Valentines Day, friends! Thanks Dr. Tom for a light-hearted little break in my day.
I'll bet you think I would not notice what you did there, but I did :D

T
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

edestlin wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:37 am Cat is liberated and chewing on the flowers. Thanks DrTom!
If it is Cat Tails or Pussy WIllows that is allowable.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

KayW wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:12 pm :crossed_swords: :rabbit: :cat: :heart: Cat is freed. A purr-fect meta for today - thanks, Tom!
LOVE that pic!!!!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Nudges:

The title gives you the mechanism

This is one of the rare metas where you do not get only one letter from each theme answer

Lots of folks probably thought that "...go on" meant go on top of...it doesn't

If not on top of then what else could a heart going on mean?
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Cat's out...no nudges needed. Thanks for another fun (and funny) meta DrTom!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Saturday triplet:

61 Abide
62 Qmark
63 Sharkicicles

The puzzle is currently sitting 5th in the list of number of solves, Not bad for one that came together so quickly.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Grade school and Valentine’s Day…I remember loving it and hating it. I am sure somewhere in a drawer in the family homestead there are a pile of undelivered Valentine’s Day cards with names of girls or boys long now grown up and married. Should you be bold enough to announce your fervent naïve affection and face the humiliation that comes with rejection? Dare you announce to your peers that you actually “love” the little blonde haired boy or girl?

That is the thought that came to me when I realized that (1) Valentine’s Day was coming (2) it was a MEOW day. So I whipped up the kitten that you saw last Wednesday. The solution was:
Heart will go on graphic reveal.jpg
A bunch of you liked it and I like that you liked it, so I guess that is our Valentine to each other.

Thanks to all who solved. You get a week off from me as Darth has a fun MEOW tomorrow. Make sure you give it a try!