"Helpful Quotation" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. The quotation in three parts forms the meta hint: HE WHO NEVER MADE A MISTAKE NEVER MADE A DISCOVERY.

2. I'm sure you have discovered that I made some mistakes as I was cluing this puzzle! In case you were wondering, the down clues always take precedence!

3. What would those across grid entries be if the across clues were actually correct?

4. Which letters got swapped?
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Since the nudges were published, there have only been 2 more solvers:

Bird Lives
SeamusOL

That brings us to 53. Next (and last) update before the answer reveal.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Well, lookie who crossed the MOAT!
Untitledzzilsa.png
Thanks, Ben!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

3 additional solvers, bringing us up to a total of 56:

edestlin
whimsy
Sharkicicles

Answer soon...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Helpful Quotation":

Helpful Quotation (solution).png

The seed for this meta was a MEOW puzzle I released towards the end of 2022 in which I inadvertently used the clue "Madonna song, 'La ___ Bonita'" for ILSA. A number of solvers reported the error and I immediately fixed the mistake (to "Mrs. Lund of 'Casablanca'"). But thinking about it afterwards I realised something like that could actually be a meta mechanic. Of course I had to use that very same error, which led quite directly to the meta answer. I came up with the other mistakes which all ended up involving short words. Then, since the puzzle needed some long entries, I went looking for a suitable quotation. And I think you will agree that Samuel Smiles' is absolutely perfect, referencing both mistakes and discovery. I love it when everything comes together so serendipitously!

... And then I went and made exactly the same mistake a few weeks ago :o