83. Addition Reactions

Puzzles! Puns! The occasional crosswordese! Solve a new meta at the end of each of month at https://punofakind.blogspot.com/
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Bird Lives wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:26 pm Wonderful. It combines two of MikeyG's favorite things. Only the Cubs are missing.
At least one of my metas in the past has revolved around the Cubs. I'm not sure of Mr. Gaffney's favorite sport, but I know tennis has showed up a lot in his!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
woozy

Post by woozy »

So I figured out exactly what I had to do in the first 20 minutes. Somehow it took 48 hours of pounding my head in the wall to actually do it.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Laughing my way to the solve. Thanks Mikey!
Heidi
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well, my only hope now is to wait for nudges. I know there is something I am missing, and I am sue I am hitting all around it, but I'm not there. Time to move on...
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Wow - misinterpreting led me into a ginormous rabbit-hole that I didn't have the common sense - or trust in Mikey's spirit of cruciverbalry - to back out of. A kind nudge turned me 180º and the game was afoot. Brilliant, Mikey!
Ray
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

We're at 33, which using my formula of 70 - x/10, we're at about a 3.7 pre-nudges, which is fine by me!

A light nudge or two this Tuesday.

1. Obviously, the central entry is relevant, and the working title for this was "Yet Another Periodic Table Meta" in my spreadsheet for a while, haha.

2. Ten other entries besides the central spanner are relevant.

DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MikeyG wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:52 pm We're at 33, which using my formula of 70 - x/10, we're at about a 3.7 pre-nudges, which is fine by me!

A light nudge or two this Tuesday.

1. Obviously, the central entry is relevant, and the working title for this was "Yet Another Periodic Table Meta" in my spreadsheet for a while, haha.

2. Ten other entries besides the central spanner are relevant.

Nudges didn't help, but the graphic made me laugh. Of course it also made me think of peroxide - HOHO!

And now, Dad humor (if your dad is a pharmacist):

Why is it cheaper for drug companies to produce nitroglycerin after 7 PM
Because everyone makes nitrates...
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Berto

Post by Berto »

Yeah, I’m still not producing the desired reaction.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Berto wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:20 pm Yeah, I’m still not producing the desired reaction.
Me neither, just not bonding with this one....
Berto

Post by Berto »

Oh SLAP! I had the meta right from the very start but had a grid entry wrong and a number wrong. Ugh!
All came together like Deuterium Tritium in a Tokamak…
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well THAT was difficult. Finally was able to read Mikey's mind (not for the fainthearted) and stumble home with a few prods. I was COMPLETELY off in my approach and trying to use the wrong school subject to solve it.

Thanks Mikey!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Finally saw the light, thanks to @DrTom! (Why didn’t I think of that?)
Cynthia
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Last-minute nudges on Friday!

3. There are 10 4-letter across entries that are relevant.

4. Some are things like HETH and ALAU that likely wouldn't be in a crossword otherwise!

5. Use the table, stay in your element, and always go back to the title!

See you tomorrow for #84!

Mikey G

edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Needed a nudge from a fellow muggle but I got there. I'm so glad I persevered... I loved the payoff! Thanks MikeyG!
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Had the mechanism fairly early on, but a couple of errors...sidetracked me...the nudges confirmed I was on the right path and managed to finish. Love the Chemistry and Math metas, Mikey!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Qmark wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:43 pm Had the mechanism fairly early on, but a couple of errors...sidetracked me...the nudges confirmed I was on the right path and managed to finish. Love the Chemistry and Math metas, Mikey!
These are a few of my favorite things! (Math and chemistry - not the errors...but I make plenty of those as well!!)