"Which Way Did He Go" February 9, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Kwyjibo wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:33 pm I almost missed the email yesterday because it was my birthday notifying me that I was picked for the mug.

So glad it was a solo solve.
🥳🏆
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:15 pm The contest answer is CONNIVE. Seven presidential surnames are found in the grid: Democrats JACKSON, KENNEDY, CLINTON and CLEVELAND, and Republicans LINCOLN, GRANT and HAYES. As suggested by the clue to CENTER, go one letter left or right from each surname’s central letter, depending on party, to get the contest answer.

We try to keep politics out of the Crossword Contest but this week was a delightful exception. It drew a large popular vote: 1,857 entries, a landslide of 94% correct. With other votes for FLIP FLOP (9), TELL A LIE (8) and a bunch of one-entry wonders such as SOUND BAD, DECEIVE, TAKE BOTH SIDES, and NAME NAMES.

Congratulations to this week's winner: Joe Tobin of Arvada, Colo. (Second straight week our winner is from Arvada!)
Public Announcement for the resident statisticians to calculate the chances of 2 in a row from the same town.
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
Dickie_Dunn

Post by Dickie_Dunn »

Some would argue the chances are 50/50. It either is, or it isn't........!
Dickie Dunn wrote this, it's gotta be true.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Dickie_Dunn wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:00 pm Some would argue the chances are 50/50. It either is, or it isn't........!
*sigh*.... I think Mike G and I would like to have a word with you.....
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Cruciverbalisticexpi

Post by Cruciverbalisticexpi »

No fair! How does a big, dumb, balding North American ape with no chin and a short temper even solve that!?
Kwyjibo wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:33 pm I almost missed the email yesterday because it was my birthday notifying me that I was picked for the mug.

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Cruciverbalisticexpi wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:36 pm No fair! How does a big, dumb, balding North American ape with no chin and a short temper even solve that!?

HEY! I have a chin...
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Cruciverbalisticexpi wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:36 pm No fair! How does a big, dumb, balding North American ape with no chin and a short temper even solve that!?
Not sure if have zero or two chins...
PXL_20240202_154739459.MP.jpg
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Cruciverbalisticexpi

Post by Cruciverbalisticexpi »

Lol! Hope I don't get banned before people realize I'm just referencing the mug winners username of Kwyjibo, haha. Which is a Simpson's reference from an early episode.