MEOW #167 It's a Disaster

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

KayW wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:08 pm
DrTom wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:58 pm
KayW wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:14 pm :crossed_swords: :rabbit: :cat: Nice one, Tom. Thanks! Cats are freed.
No disasters here - just art!
Is that an original Jackson Polecat! I have seen similar art in our kitchen as well.
PURR-haps you're right! At FURst I thought it was a MEOW-net or a PURR-CAT-so.
So not by some Persian artist?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well that's a good day!

1 benchen71
2 Hector
3 markhr
4 SamKat9
5 Cindy Heisler
6 Meg
7 Pair O Ducks
8 Cindy Weatherman
9 ChrisKochmanski
10 AxelPlays
11 DCBilly
12 boharr
13 Carolyn
14 mwoychick
15 MatthewL
16 JM
17 Sharkicicles
18 whimsy
19 KayW
20 Heidi
21 ajk
22 Darth
23 Laura M
24 Ergcat
25 woozy
26 DebbieC
27 DIS
28 LB800
29 Tom Wilson
30 Mr Tex
31 CPJohnson
32 Sendhil Revuluri
33 rvkal
34 andeux

I am delighted that so many of you have solved, and found the puzzle entertaining. Thanks to all the early adopters!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

DrTom wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:48 pm
KayW wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:08 pm
DrTom wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:58 pm

Is that an original Jackson Polecat! I have seen similar art in our kitchen as well.
PURR-haps you're right! At FURst I thought it was a MEOW-net or a PURR-CAT-so.
So not by some Persian artist?
Good point. I was thinking ancient Mesopawtamian myself.
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Cat's out...thanks DrTom!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

SamKat9 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:53 pm
Good point. I was thinking ancient Mesopawtamian myself.
and yet another punster joins the crowd!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I had a wild guess and THEN! There it is!

Cat is out of the bag!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

It took longer than it should have, but the cat finally escaped.
rjy

Post by rjy »

My cat is still fully bagged - got the grid fill just after midnight Wednesday morning but immediately hit a brick wall (or blind spot) and haven't budged since... 6 hours til Nudge Friday!
Ray
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

👆🏻 same.
The other Wendy. :roll:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

NUDGES!!!

The 6 theme answers are very obvious because they are environmentally associated (particularly after I changed one to include the word environment)

Symmetry is your friend...

Do you think there is a reason I clued 27A to be so "Boston"? I mean there are a lot of clues for that word that don't include bean town.

Say all 6 theme answers aloud, what do they have in common?

This mechanism usually comes up around Christmas, albeit with a different word, but the Mx is the same
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well that slowed down quickly...

35 Qmark
36 Darrell
37 lbray53
38 DaveC

Still, a respectable number of people doing disaster preparedness. Let's see if the nudges helped.
hoover

Post by hoover »

DrTom wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:03 am NUDGES!!!

Um what? Either I can't read or I can't count.

I'm not seeing this feature.

I'm slow.

Nothing?

I think I understand this nudge, but I'm not seeing it in action in the themers.
I must have chosen the wrong themers.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

DrTom wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:25 am Let's see if the nudges helped.
Yeah… not so much. Had those (though I questioned one), and nudge #2 is problematic (?).

UPDATE; Oh nevermind… got it right after I posted that. You shoulda heard me interpreting nudge 1 the wrong way. :lol:

So odd… I had tried something like the correct method way back at the beginning, but it didn’t seem to give me anything useful before.

Also, there’s a major rabbit trail that seems too fruitful to be coincidental, so that’s where I’ve been stuck the last several days. Also, I really suck at remembering metanisms of past puzzles!!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Similar to Wendy… I had Nudges 1 thru 3 (same q about 2 too), but needed 4 to get me headin’ home myself. Had an interesting rabbit hole as well… but hey! nice to get to the finish line. Thanks Dr Tom - and BTW, cluing was pretty great, even relative to your standards!
Ray
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

rjy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:35 pm Thanks Dr Tom - and BTW, cluing was pretty great, even relative to your standards!
Ditto! Fun cluing.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well an easier WSJ has contributed to my number of solvers:

39 hoover
40 Berto
41 Gutman
42 Philip Chow
43 Johnny Luau
44 Steve M
45 Danny K Bernstein
46 rjy

Thanks to all who tried this disastrous Meta.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

DANG IT!!! I know I asked the program for symmetry, and during the editing process (trying to find a fill that did not include the name of dogs of 13th century pamphlet authors) I must have moved a themer and messed it up. Thanks to @HeadinHome for pointing out this glaring mistake in my nudges.

The theme answers are "almost" symmetric, but they DO have the same qualifier that should let you know who they are.
hoover

Post by hoover »

DrTom wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:16 am DANG IT!!! I know I asked the program for symmetry, and during the editing process (trying to find a fill that did not include the name of dogs of 13th century pamphlet authors) I must have moved a themer and messed it up. Thanks to @HeadinHome for pointing out this glaring mistake in my nudges.

The theme answers are "almost" symmetric, but they DO have the same qualifier that should let you know who they are.
I tried to convey that in my spoiler-protected "I'm not seeing this feature."
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

hoover wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:26 am
DrTom wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:16 am DANG IT!!! I know I asked the program for symmetry, and during the editing process (trying to find a fill that did not include the name of dogs of 13th century pamphlet authors) I must have moved a themer and messed it up. Thanks to @HeadinHome for pointing out this glaring mistake in my nudges.

I tried to convey that in my spoiler-protected "I'm not seeing this feature."
I saw that and, sorry to admit, until someone else mentioned it and I corrected them, and then they corrected ME I did not fully realize.

T
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

One additional solver today:

47 HeadinHome

All of the theme clues have the word environment (in some form) in them

If I said "You knew what the dumb answer could be" I've used the mechanism five times.