Drink Recipe - February 2024

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
Amanda Hugginkiss

Post by Amanda Hugginkiss »

That was a fun little click! I've been in such a slump lately, so it's nice to get one.
Googly

Post by Googly »

Tina

Post by Tina »

Wow I'm so annoyed...It took me forever to figure this out, wondering what obvious thing I'm missing...Then I finally get it today and it's a song I absolutely HATE!!! LOL ;) (I do hate this song, though. If I'm right, that is. I haven't submitted yet.)
CromsFury

Post by CromsFury »

You know that "thing" where you read the TITLE and PROMPT beFORE filling the grid and then you come-up with an answer justified by those two things but cannot immediately see how to arrive at that answer in through the grid?

ALL I can see is MY answer but not how to get from A (which I see IN the grid) to Z (which has been in my head almost since the beginning.) I am either SERIOUSLY over-thinking this, or missing something VERY obvious.
:ugeek:

*edit*
I am throwing caution to the wind and submitting my answer.

*edit-edit*
ON THE BOARD!!!
Last edited by CromsFury on Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo. - Virgil
Quand on lit trop vite où trop doucement, on n'entend rien. - Pascal
CromsFury

Post by CromsFury »

Tina wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:18 pm Wow I'm so annoyed...It took me forever to figure this out, wondering what obvious thing I'm missing...Then I finally get it today and it's a song I absolutely HATE!!! LOL ;) (I do hate this song, though. If I'm right, that is. I haven't submitted yet.)
If I got this one wrong, I will have TWO songs to hate.
The correct answer and the one I just submitted. (*grumble*)
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo. - Virgil
Quand on lit trop vite où trop doucement, on n'entend rien. - Pascal
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Submitted. Waiting for leaderboard update (which seems to have a delay this afternoon)
damefox

Post by damefox »

CromsFury wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:48 pm
Tina wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:18 pm Wow I'm so annoyed...It took me forever to figure this out, wondering what obvious thing I'm missing...Then I finally get it today and it's a song I absolutely HATE!!! LOL ;) (I do hate this song, though. If I'm right, that is. I haven't submitted yet.)
If I got this one wrong, I will have TWO songs to hate.
The correct answer and the one I just submitted. (*grumble*)
Fortunately I love this song because it's definitely going to be in my head for the next month. I swear I JUST got it OUT of my head!
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Dang. Grid done, and i see something that could lead me to three different songs. Only one has a thin tie-in with the title, so I'm not happy at all.

(I know, so which one of the seven dwarfs am I? Right now... Dopey)
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

DBMiller wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:01 pm Dang. Grid done, and i see something that could lead me to three different songs. Only one has a thin tie-in with the title, so I'm not happy at all.

(I know, so which one of the seven dwarfs am I? Right now... Dopey)
When you see it, you will know.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

You can call me Doc now. A song from the 70s popped into my head and I said to myself, "Of course!"
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

On the board. Was confounded for too long and got a nudge.
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

I fear I am way over-thinking this. I have what I could believe is a good answer but something doesn't quite fit. This is month 2 right? New constructor(s) messing up my vibe!

Update: Just pulled the trigger and on the board! Still didn't love it as much as I usually do but no matter what Muller is always fun.
Last edited by mattythewsjpuzzler on Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeaTea

Post by BeaTea »

mattythewsjpuzzler wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:32 pm I fear I am way over-thinking this. I have what I could believe is a good answer but something doesn't quite fit. This is month 2 right? New constructor(s) messing up my vibe!
Feeling the same way. Will continue to stare at this, but a nudge might be needed. :?
Spiffyjiff

Post by Spiffyjiff »

sigh. staring WAY too long at this. need a nudge. :( :( :(

edit: FINALLY, sheesh. :roll: and without a nudge! (despite how much I wanted one!)
Last edited by Spiffyjiff on Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

ky-mike wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:18 pm
When you see it, you will know.
I'm not sure everyone will. I did, but I've heard from some who knew the answer and had the reason exactly right in their notes but still didn't see it, so apparently there can be a bit of a blind spot around this one.

For those still working, remember that this is February, just a 1 point meta, so stick with what's obvious and resist the temptation to over-complicate it.

And speaking of MMMM, it looks like 15 people have already figured out the red herring!! Wow, count me impressed. I've got a spreadsheet, but nothing standing out yet.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
BeaTea

Post by BeaTea »

Ok, I got it. I'm not totally sure if I have the right reason, but with the advice above helping me I'm thinking maybe I do. Looking forward to the write up on this.
johnaldape

Post by johnaldape »

I have completed the puzzle, but I can't figure out how to get a toe hold into the meta. I'd love a nudge if anyone is handing one out?
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Grid completed, less Googling than usual. And I see...something. Not exactly sure what yet, but...something.
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

On the board. It took me a little while but finally got it.
m5rammy

Post by m5rammy »

If someone needs a nudge, PM me what rabbit holes you're looking into, and I'll try to gently steer you on, or away, as needed