MGWCC #818 — "One More Time"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Awaiting beam, but confident. Easy but not TOO easy as some week ones are.
The other Wendy. :roll:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Awaiting the beam... [That was clever!]

... and I'm beamed at #150. :D
Last edited by benchen71 on Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Joe

Post by Joe »

Pretty sure I'll be beamed aboard soon.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:alien: :flying_saucer: Submitted, but confident. Agree it's meatier than some Week Ones, but I like this one a lot!

Also liking Jeff Chen's Squeezy game which Matt recommended. Oh dear, yet another word game added to my daily roster...
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

I can see myself getting addicted to Squeezy, neat game!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

It took a while for a week 1, but I was finally beamed up.
CptnCodon

Post by CptnCodon »

KayW wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:30 pm :alien: :flying_saucer: Submitted, but confident. Agree it's meatier than some Week Ones, but I like this one a lot!

Also liking Jeff Chen's Squeezy game which Matt recommended. Oh dear, yet another word game added to my daily roster...
Thanks for the link! Squeezy is pretty slick. (Un?)fortunately, it doesn’t yet keep track of streaks…
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Beamed, but I did need confirmation.
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

Beamed! And how did I not realize this was my 25th puzzle? Nice surprise there.
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
Amanda Hugginkiss

Post by Amanda Hugginkiss »

MMe wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:00 pm Yeah wouldn't downs-only be impossible for this one?
This is actually the first time I’ve been able to finish with downs-only!
Amanda Hugginkiss

KayW wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:30 pm :alien: :flying_saucer: Submitted, but confident. Agree it's meatier than some Week Ones, but I like this one a lot!

What else is in your daily roster? I need some fresh games!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

On the board at 184. Very nice one!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
MMe

Post by MMe »

Amanda Hugginkiss wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:40 am
MMe wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:00 pm Yeah wouldn't downs-only be impossible for this one?
You got the meta without looking at across clues? If so, chapeau! (Even if you got the grid that way, that's awesome.)
KayW

Post by KayW »

Amanda Hugginkiss wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:42 am

What else is in your daily roster? I need some fresh games!
I started to answer you here, but then decided to create a separate thread where others can add their favorites.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Beamed up. That was fun!
One clue just confused me tho
Amanda Hugginkiss

MMe wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:09 am
Amanda Hugginkiss wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:40 am
You got the meta without looking at across clues? If so, chapeau! (Even if you got the grid that way, that's awesome.)
Oh no, I didn’t get the meta! It’s the first time I’ve done the grid with downs only.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Awaiting transporter. I had an instantaneous guess for the answer that was perfect!

Until it distracted me from finding the correct answer. So this took me way too long. Though I agree with those who say it was harder than a week 1.

Have to remind myself: Never try to back-solve, unless you have already found the metanism and just need to fill in some blanks.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Beamed. Did the grid yesterday and set it down after 5 mins. Picked it up today and there it was.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Got the grid downs-only, no-instructions, but no daylight yet on the meta.

Before I spend inordinate time staring - is it even possible to solve without the prompt and/or across clues?
Ray
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

HunterX wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:11 pm Awaiting transporter. I had an instantaneous guess for the answer that was perfect!

Until it distracted me from finding the correct answer. So this took me way too long. Though I agree with those who say it was harder than a week 1.

Have to remind myself: Never try to back-solve, unless you have already found the metanism and just need to fill in some blanks.
Ugh! I just realized that when I submitted my answer yesterday, I mistyped one letter of the answer. And I know why, as it had to do with a conversation I was having with my wife about it. When I saw that I wasn't added to the list, I suddenly recalled my typing and realized my mistake. Can explain that cryptic comment only after the solve.

Time to yell another word: #$%@!

(No, that's not the answer. And no, it doesn't really matter. At least I know that I know the correct answer.)