PCC#23 "Three-Course Meal" (Jan. 27, 2024)

Welcome to Phil's Crossword Corner (PCC)! Philip Chow (aka Phil) is an auditor at NYC Dept of Parks and Recreation who makes crossword puzzles for fun in his free time. A new meta puzzle posts every other Saturday weekend on Crosshare.

Phil’s metas will usually include immediate nudges, a great tool for new solvers. You can reach him at pchow13@gmail.com
pchow13

PCC#23 "Three-Course Meal" (Jan. 27, 2024)

Post by pchow13 »

Please see below for the latest puzzle PCC#23 - "Three-Course Meal"
Meta puzzle and mechanism by Kelly McMahon. Crossword puzzle and clues by Philip Chow.

[Level 2.5] Meta prompt: The answer to the meta is something that DJ Khaled does (that I hope you do too)

Many thanks to FrankieHeck and Abide for test-solving!

Note: the level is the intended difficulty I had in mind when I designed the puzzle, but may play differently since every solver has their own area of expertise... what one person may find easy, another may find difficult.

Have fun and keep in mind if you're ever lost at sea, google is your best friend (actually, I don't know if you'd get internet service in the middle of the ocean)
-Phil :mrgreen:

Links courtesy of Joe Ross (thank you as always for the tech support!)
crosshare
PUZ
PDF
spreadsheet

Edit: The clue for 10-Down has a typo (should be "Antagonist")... Note this does not affect the meta. Thanks to Sendhil Revuluri for pointing it out on Crosshare.

Nudges below:

Hint #1: The meta answer is three letters long

Hint #2: Please don't waste your food

Hint #3: 36-Across and 69-Across are hints as to what to do with the three courses and their respective ingredients

Hint #4: to make JELLO (the first course), combine JOIN + CELLO = JELLO... the leftover letters give you OIN + C which can be recycled to make COIN

Hint #5: if you employ the strategy in hint #4 to all three courses, you end up with the words COIN, COHERE, and WHERE

Hint #6: use the same trick from hint #4 on the three words from hint #5

Solution below - SPOILER ALERT:

Answer explanation: using the hint from 36-A, take the two ingredients to make the foods outlined in the three courses... then use the hint from 69-A to recycle the leftovers... (1) JOIN + CELLO = JELLO = and leftover letters = COIN... (2) FLARE + COHEN = FLAN and leftover letters = COHERE... (3) SPHERE + WRINKLES = SPRINKLES and leftover letters = WHERE... using the trick one last time on the three new words, COIN + WHERE = COHERE and leftover letters is the meta answer = WIN... Something that DJ Khaled does is win (a reference to one of his hit songs with the lyrics "all I do is win win win no matter what") and is something I hope you do too!

Constructor notes: I took a semester of British Literature in high school and my teacher Ms. Kelly McMahon assigned an extra credit assignment called "The Dormouse Problems" that was inspired by Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland"... It was a bunch of riddles/mini-puzzles all leading up to a meta puzzle! (Not crossword, more like a mystery hunt puzzle). Ms. McMahon gave us a one-week deadline and planned to release hints throughout the week. I dove right in and finished it the day she assigned it. I found the meta but had to backsolve on one of the mini-puzzles which were a bunch of cryptic-style crossword clues (I was unfamiliar with cryptics at this time)... The next day I excitedly told Ms. McMahon I finished and her first reaction was of shock, then suspicion "there's no way, one of your friends who took my class before must've fed you the answer?" I was so sad she accused me of cheating and amused that she thought I had friends. I just responded with "No, I just really like puzzles"... the mechanism used in this puzzle is one of the mini-puzzles from this anecdote.

Although the word already existed to mean a large trunk or suitcase, Lewis Carroll first coined the term "portmanteau" in the usage of blending words... in "Through the Looking-Glass," he writes, "You see it's like a portmanteau - there are two meanings packed up into one word"... happy birthday to Lewis Carroll 01/27/1832 "You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are."

Last edited by pchow13 on Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Got it, without the nudges. Nice one! Thanks for the puzzle, Phil!
Matthew
boharr

Post by boharr »

Got it. Thanks, Phil.
Darth

Post by Darth »

I got some of it but needed a nudge to help with the final step. ;) Thanks, Phil.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: Nudged around the corner - thanks for a creative and fun meta!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Rounded the corner! :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Untitledzzspin.png
Whew! Turned the corner, after a fashion.
Needed nudges and still got myself dizzy!
Thanks for the puzzle, Phil!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Rounded the corner!

Thanks, Phil!
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

Spinnin' 'round the corner.

Thanks for the puzzle, I needed the first nudge to figure out what I was forgetting to do.
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Phun, Phil!
Ray
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Fun puzzle! Needed the nudge for the final step. Thanks, Phil!
Meg

Post by Meg »

A bit late to this one. Got fairly far into the mechanism, but needed the nudges at the end. Nicely done, Phil!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

This was such a great puzzle, and the write-up behind on it on Crosshare endeared me even more to it. Well-done, Philip!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
hoover

Post by hoover »

I can't believe I ate the whole thing!