MGWCC #817 — "Keep It Simple"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beamed!

With help from something I picked up in the Discord confab.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

beamed with help from discord.
ricky

Post by ricky »

I think I know how to solve this one but I was out of town and it's extremely mobile unfriendly. Now that I'm home and can print it out it feels like it's going to be a chore to dive back into it.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Kept it as simple as I could and beamed at #82.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Beamed, solo. I even thought I understood the mechanism, but then something happened at the very end.
Jay
Joe

Post by Joe »

It's not "GOOD STIFF BELT OF SCOTCH" is it?
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

On the board at 94, with help. Also got the 100 weeks of solvitude with this one!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Beamed with an incomplete solution, though correct.
Heidi
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

beamed with considerable Discord (and Aaron) help, awaiting the sticking of the landing on the pad next to the parallel bars in the gymnasium full of other competing athletes trying to show off their prowess in a variety of olympian tasks

EDIT: streak of 23 is alive!!!
Last edited by MajordomoTom on Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Joe

Post by Joe »

I got there with a little help. Like others, I don’t fully understand the mechanism, but done is done.

EDIT: Ohhhhhhh. I just figured out the mechanism.
Last edited by Joe on Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beamed up yesterday. Anxiously waiting the reveal, since my mechanism didn't fully work as I thought it should.
Cindy Heisler
Dr.Buttbeard

Post by Dr.Buttbeard »

Struggled mightily with the grid on Saturday, finally came back to it today and believe I have figured out the meta. Waiting for the beam now, but feeling confident in my answer. I had a strong suspicion of what the answer might be and managed to get exactly that answer in a way that makes sense with one small divergence, but not big enough to make me question that this is the right answer.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Got it I'm pretty confident.

But man, was it complicated!

I get the mechanism, but I have one REALLY big complaint (unless there is another way to get the result.... or unless I'm dead wrong)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Got this one tonight also! I'm on a roll. I did indeed do what is suggested.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well, I am waiting for the reveal because I see no consistent way to get to the answer even though I got to the answer. I am sure there is one, just because there always is, cannot wait.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Submitted my solo solve...waiting for confirmation.
MMe

Post by MMe »

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do.
-- Yogi Berra
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Well, I think I can forget having a perfect year :D
Even trying to write up a nudge request isn't getting me anywhere.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

@DrTom I'm with you. I'm on the board but can't see a clear path to the meta.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Streroto wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:27 pm @DrTom I'm with you. I'm on the board but can't see a clear path to the meta.
no spoilers!
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.