MEOW #165 Unwanted Visitors

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Nicely done! My cat has made a run for it.

Thanks for the puzzle!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

A solver update and then nudges!

emmie
iceman
CPJohnson
Chris
DrTom
LB800
Golem
Modesty Marigot
Larry Edelstein
dooiemus

That brings us up to 61.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. There are no hints in the grid... other than the grid itself!

2. If you follow the clues to the letter you will be left with three holes in the grid.

3. Try to fill these holes with letters that still give you valid entries across and down.

4. For example, 37A will become a Beatles song!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Just 5 more solvers, bringing us up to a final total of 66:

ajk
Jaclyn
axmszr
Flora Wynn
Steve M
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Unwanted Visitors":

Unwanted Visitors (solution).png

When I first constructed this puzzle it was not intended to have any wider relevance or political significance. However, when I was asked by DrTom to fill in for the January 24th MEOW, I realised that the puzzle would overlap with Australia Day. And that very definitely gives this puzzle an extra layer. The settlement of Australia celebrated on January 26th is seen by Australia's First Nations as an invasion: the Europeans were very definitely viewed as intruders. For many decades there has been a call for the drawing up of an official treaty. I add my voice to this call.

benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

And the winner of this week's prize is...

@lbray53

Your prize, a copy of the MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack has been sent to your email address. If it isn't in your inbox, look in the spam folder!

And if there is anyone out there suffering from MOAT MEOW FOMO, consider purchasing the pack from here. :D
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

An honor to win. Looks like some fun for me!!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!