"Aussie Lingo" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

This was so much fun - amazing grid shape and a fantastic tribute to your homeland!

Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Berto

Post by Berto »

Loved it!

Loved the grid, reminded me of a cracked pepper 34 wafer I had on my plate once:
IMG_1333.jpeg
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Thanks Ben. That was fun. My mind wasn't up to it this morning, but I came back to it this evening and saw what I needed to see.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Nice one! Thanks, Ben!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

We're nearing the end of the first day's play, and these are the standings:

woozy
Philip Chow
kieranjboyd
Danny K Bernstein
SamKat9
rjy
Cindy Weatherman
Cindy Heisler
boharr
Mg305
Tyrpmom
kurtalert
lbray53
KayW
DCBilly
Darth
Meg
Hector
rfj
Tom Wilson
MatthewL
Capn Rick
Carolyn
Alex Sisti
ajk
LarsCaine
heidi
I K Snamhcok
hoover
whimsy
Ergcat
dannyvee
Pair O Ducks
HeadinHome
markhr
DIS
Laura M
Mikey G
Jeremy Smith
LB800
Berto
kymike
Tim
Noodles
Rufus T Firefly
Dow Jones
LindaPRmaven

We're starting with 47 successful solvers on the board! (And don't forget that this week's MEOW will be one of mine, coming to you in just over an hour's time...)
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

At the end of the second day's play, 3 more have joined the ranks of successful solvers, bringing us up to 50:

atsirica111191
JM
DrTom
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. Your only clue is the puzzle title... and the amazing grid art!

2. Some of the grid entries might have seemed odd when compared to their clues; or even completely mystifying. I can assure you that anyone from Australia would have had no trouble at all!

3. Look for eight examples of Aussie slang in the grid.

4. DEADSET might be slang in more places than just Australia!
ReB

Post by ReB »

Crossed the moat, but needed to be dragged by the nudges.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

A solver update for you:

CPJohnson
ReB
Deb W
Golem
Spid4567
Johnny Luau
edestlin
Jaclyn

That's 58. Last update before the answer reveal Monday morning, Australia time!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Two more solvers, bringing the total to a nice round 60!

Flora Wynn
Sharkicicles
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Aussie Lingo":

Aussie Lingo (solution).png

Australia Day was held on the 26th of January. However, please don't see this puzzle as support for not changing the day. First Nations people refer to the 26th of January, the day Captain Cook landed at Botany Bay, as Invasion Day or Survival Day because it marked the start of a sustained period of discrimination and dispossession of Indigenous peoples without the negotiation of a treaty. Australia as a nation needs to change the date to one that does not have such negative associations. And a treaty that deals with the injustices of the past is also necessary for moving forward into a shared future.