“Need a Lift” - new WSJ variety puzzle

Enter if you dare!
DavyGravy

“Need a Lift” - new WSJ variety puzzle

Post by DavyGravy »

Paul Hunsberger gets the first post HEX WSJ variety cryptic. Congratulations Paul! Big shoes to fill. I can’t wait to tackle it!
If I’ve solved and you need a nudge, you can PM me. Happy to pay it forward. ;)
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

What a great puzzle! Challenging and fun!
Meg

Post by Meg »

I just kept plugging away and everything became clear…….eventually. Some delayed gratification here.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

Excellent puzzle!
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

I was worried when I saw the puzzle was not a Cox - Rathvon puzzle. I should not have been. This was a great cryptic crossword that took me a long time to finish. I am in awe of the creators of puzzles like these
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Stuck on 6d and 32a.. eventually I’ll get it. Different creator makes it more difficult. But a good puzzle for the dreary night…. Never mind. Got it all. Great puzzle!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Paul H. produces a variety cryptic masterpiece in his first WSJ outing! I’ll bet Cox and Rathvon are pleased to see it.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

It would be great to see these every 4 weeks in rotation like before. Welcome Paul H!
Nino

Post by Nino »

I agree with all the previous comments, particularly Jeanrosz’, regarding 6D and 32D taking the longest to solve (and 6D being the last.)

While I prefer puzzles in which confirming that you’ve understood the instructions, is not the biggest challenge, I, too, found the puzzle to be challenging, and satisfying when solved. Although adding the element of determining the identity of the “helpful person” seemed superfluous at first, it did offer an additional check in the end (and a relevant word choice, at that. Actually, one might say a HEX-ian choice.)
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

I enjoyed the challenge. I thought the instructions feature of being meaningless without puzzle progress was Hex-ian.
KayW

Post by KayW »

A lovely WSJ debut from Paul Hunsberger. It took me ages to figure out what to do, but solving this one sure did give me a lift. And to think I was worried about the quality of the post-HEX cryptic puzzles.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

Wow, this one was fun. Took me a bit to get where the puzzle was going, but once I did it all fell into place. Excellent puzzle, Paul H.
Naptown Kid

Post by Naptown Kid »

I was not familiar with this setter but I’m very pleased to make his acquaintance! The puzzle was clever and fun with great payoffs on completion. Here’s hoping we see much more of Mr. Hunsberger in the future.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I got stuck with the grid about half done. A comment on the WSJ site told me why, and I managed to finish. As a mediocre cryptic solver, don’t think I’d ever have figured it out on my own.

Still don’t understand the cryptic part of the clue for 3D. If anyone would care to explain in a PM, I’d appreciate it.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
KayW

Post by KayW »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:41 pm I got stuck with the grid about half done. A comment on the WSJ site told me why, and I managed to finish. As a mediocre cryptic solver, don’t think I’d ever have figured it out on my own.

Still don’t understand the cryptic part of the clue for 3D. If anyone would care to explain in a PM, I’d appreciate it.
I think behind a
DAYS OF OUR LIVES... a SOAP opera.
spoonerism for LAYS OF OUR DIVES...
pronounced LEIS (rings around the collar) of our DIVES (many a lousy bar)
tag is acceptable here. My interpretation.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

KayW wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:01 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:41 pm I got stuck with the grid about half done. A comment on the WSJ site told me why, and I managed to finish. As a mediocre cryptic solver, don’t think I’d ever have figured it out on my own.

I think behind a
DAYS OF OUR LIVES... a SOAP opera.
spoonerism for LAYS OF OUR DIVES...
pronounced LEIS (rings around the collar) of our DIVES (many a lousy bar)
tag is acceptable here. My interpretation.
Oh, thank you! Had most of that but was missing one piece.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)