"Use Your Head" January 12, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Miki

Post by Miki »

The answer "an adjective that does not describe most contest crossword solvers."
MOST is the important word here
Because "most" does not include me.
I did not [ insert title ]
I submitted my answer, thinking I'm ashore.

Bob, take my name off the list of people ashore.
I'm not in the ship either. Count me overboard.

Please let MG know that my hat+head is off to him for another brilliant puzzle.
Miki

Post by Miki »

pchow13 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:44 pm Ashore... i have a random question... what does guinness me mean? or all the other alcohol references in some the comments? is it just your favorite thing to drink... like a celebratory drink on the beach after making it to the "shore?"
Yes. Al Sisti started it, as he consistently solves around 4:15 pm on Thursday and then asks for a Guinness on the beach.
wescovington

Post by wescovington »

I'm ashore. I had made it late last night, but fell asleep.
Barnhart6

Post by Barnhart6 »

just keep swimming...just keep swimming. Actually, I'm still on the ship, not even deserving of time with Isaac... arrrrgh.
Thanks to all the muggles in this group. Participating is the highlight of the week!
Brian B
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:22 pm ... we were at the fabulous Pennsylvania Farm Show in Harrisburg today, admiring the animals and ingesting once-a-year ... Couldn't resist this sign at the Rabbit Exhibition.
Any rabbits to be ingested -- hassenpfeffer or other Pennsylvania Dutch dishes?
Jay
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

REMINDER: Today is bee-bop-a-ree-bop Muggle Zoom Friday at 4:30pm Eastern Time today. All are invited to take a break from your daily routine and join us in some fun time together. Bring your heads and/or your "tales" of meta trials and tribulations, progresses and stumbling blocks, to discuss with other friendly muggles!

I have just been informed that we may receive a brief visit from a celebrity who has a nudge for the group. You won't want to miss it. Click on the Muggle Zoom Room tab at the top of the page to join. Hope to see you there!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

pchow13 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:08 pm
woozy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:12 pm
pchow13 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:44 pm Ashore... i have a random question... what does guinness me mean? or all the other alcohol references in some the comments? is it just your favorite thing to drink... like a celebratory drink on the beach after making it to the "shore?"
Either way, we all get to drink.
thank you for the explanation! i would respond with my drink of choice but it's an answer to a future PCC meta :mrgreen:
Let's analyse all past & future posts of Phil's, so we can ace that meta...
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Sorry to say that I am still on the ship with Isaac! And My head hurts from overuse, or rather, probably overthinking this one as usual!
RobM

Post by RobM »

So far nothing coming to me. Maybe if I stare at it a while longer . . .
straffin

Post by straffin »

Got on the boat yesterday in record time, but I'm now completely stuck to my barstool with Isaac. Gonna try to join the Zoom for a little nudge this afternoon...
harhanlake

Post by harhanlake »

Made it ashore!

I dunno, either I get it right away or not at all,
going down weird rabbit holes.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Miki wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:12 am
Yes. Al Sisti started it, as he consistently solves around 4:15 pm on Thursday and then asks for a Guinness on the beach.
4:15, only if he's running late.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

On shore! Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Wait a minute. AHA!!!!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
sweetc

Post by sweetc »

Lots and lots and lots of rabbit holes. Still on the ship.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Ashore! Was on the right path since yesterday, just needed to be told - a rabbit-hole within a rabbit-hole prevented me from seeing it. Will queue up a Last Word for later today...
Ray
DelanQ

Post by DelanQ »

Ashore and very quickly! 24 minutes total. I wish I could have started at 4 PM yesterday!
dho

Post by dho »

Still on the boat...nursing a quad latte
Acarl

Post by Acarl »

Beleaguered Castle wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:06 am AHA! (Just love that moment.)

Stared and stared last night and got absolutely nothing. This morning I woke up with an idea that I tried over coffee. It turned out to be just the right thread to pull and the whole puzzle quickly unraveled. Just love it!

Great puzzle, great fun!! Thanks Matt!

It's too early for celebration, so I'll just go for my second mug of coffee and I'll celebrate with some Double Black tonight.
Don’t be silly. It’s never too early for celebration.
I, on the other hand, am still firmly at isaac’s.
TMart

Post by TMart »

On shore. Matt's got some good ones this week!
Momo

Post by Momo »

Still with Isaac. Can’t even find rabbit hole. Congrats to all you on shore. Did Billy Joel at MSG last night. Maybe I’m still in a New York State of Mind. Wish it was NY State of Meta!🙄😬