MEOW #162 White As Snow

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

MEOW #162 White As Snow

Post by DrTom »

Although snow is not a "thing" in Florida I know it is in many places where Muggles reside and solve. Therefore this puzzle seemed very timely. I am not going to venture a guess on the difficulty. I, of course, think it is patently obvious what I want, but then I wrote it.

So, solve carefully, remember who wrote this and watch out for things purposely designed to confuse.

Difficulty: ? (no more than Persian)

Nudges Friday, reveal Tuesday

Thanks to my Testers: @BarbaraK, @whimsy and (completely by accident, but adding a nice touch) @Hector

White As Snow
crosshare
PUZ
PDF
spreadsheet

Last edited by DrTom on Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Feline shoveled out to warmth and safety… delightful puzzle, DrTom!
Ray
Meg

Post by Meg »

The cat is still on the floor laughing, after stumbling out of the bag. Nice one, Dr. T!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Cat was confused for a moment but made it off the couch unhurt. Thank, Dr. Tom.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Scat, cat!

Thanks, Dr. T!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Cat fell out of the bag. Thanks, Dr Tom.
Cindy Heisler
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Meg wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:11 am The cat is still on the floor laughing, after stumbling out of the bag. Nice one, Dr. T!
Is this him?
Laffy cat.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Cat's out! Thanks Dr. Tom!
Heidi
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Cat has been freed. Took a while to find the iteration that Crosshare would accept, but finally got there. Thanks for the puzzle, Tom!
Matthew
woozy

Post by woozy »

Well, I have a perfect streak for all the metas I've tried this year.

2024--- The year I woke up stupid.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Cat's out of the bag, with some assistance! Thanks for the puzzle, Dr. Tom
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
hoover

Post by hoover »

I have steps one and two, and a connection, and I see a bunch of Easter eggs to boot, but the "fabled rock group" prompt gives it a MMMM aspect that makes me think I'm going to have to spend a lot of time searching online.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Goodness gracious, I never meant this to be a challenge! I'll just bet a lot of you had the answer as soon as you saw it and are just trying to find out how to verify. This is a "grok" mechanism, nothing is spelled out (intentionally) so it just has to be an "AHA, I see what he is doing now, and there is the confirmation".
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

hoover wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:45 pm I have steps one and two, and a connection, and I see a bunch of Easter eggs to boot, but the "fabled rock group" prompt gives it a MMMM aspect that makes me think I'm going to have to spend a lot of time searching online.
You don’t need a lot of online searching, you just need to remember that this is DrTom :)
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

OK, so after sharing with Tom my rabbit holes, I have been guided to the answer. Cat's out, licking its fur, slightly ashamed of itself...
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Cat is out! Fun one.

The answer for 30D made me check to make sure that this was not one of Mikey’s puzzles. I hope you both consider that a compliment.
Last edited by lbray53 on Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

BarbaraK wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:58 pm
hoover wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:45 pm I have steps one and two, and a connection, and I see a bunch of Easter eggs to boot, but the "fabled rock group" prompt gives it a MMMM aspect that makes me think I'm going to have to spend a lot of time searching online.
You don’t need a lot of online searching, you just need to remember that this is DrTom :)
EXACTLY! I try to make puzzles that even I could solve! I seldom get really obtuse and if I do I let you know from the start that it will be hard.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Day one of a busy week and I still managed to entice 25 people to release that captured kitty. Thanks to all the solvers.

1 Hector
2 LarsCaine
3 andeux
4 LaraM
5 whimsy
6 DIS
7 rjy
8 Mr Tex
9 Meg
10 boharr
11 ChrisKochmanski
12 Cindy Heisler
13 DCBilly
14 heidi
15 MatthewL
16 Cindy Weatherman
17 markhr
18 Mwoychick
19 kuralert
20 CPJohnson
21 BarbaraK
22 hoove
23 lbray53
24 emmie
25 jbird
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

DrTom wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:02 pm Day one of a busy week and I still managed to entice 25 people to release that captured kitty. Thanks to all the solvers.
... and me, just not on Crosshare! :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

DrTom wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:29 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:58 pm
EXACTLY! I try to make puzzles that even I could solve! I seldom get really obtuse and if I do I let you know from the start that it will be hard.
I haven't got this one yet, but I know DrTom is always fair, and if it's a hardon e he'll let you know.