MGWCC #813 — “Ring in the New”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

I've submitted my answer - waiting to see if I will be beamed up.

Edit: in at 102, with the help of the hint :D
Last edited by MarkWoychick on Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

After an insane morning thanks to the littles, I was finally able to solve this puzzle. Without the hint, I was totally lost, but now I have something to submit. I hope it's right 😬

Edit: In at 101. Happy New Year! 🥂
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
markhr

Post by markhr »

Beamed up. Matt's hint was just what I needed.
Happy New Year to all.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Awaiting beam up. Definitely needed the hint.

Happy New Year!

Edit: Beamed.
Last edited by HunterX on Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

got a nudge about an hour prior to the hint and solved w/o the hint (but the nudge and the hint were pretty much the same idea)

beamed and beaming, streak is still streaking
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Beamed with a small nudge from "the other Wendy" and Matt's hint.
Heidi
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Beamed, thank goodness! Tough solve. I got through the slog with the kindness of muggle friends, which makes it a great way to end the year!
Thanks and Happy New Year!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Hmm, the MGWCC site says I am #102 but someone had already claimed that number here (My fellow constructor Mark). There were some other discrepancies as well so I am guessing that perhaps Matt accepted some previously counted as incorrect? I know my "streak" says 1, but it is actually over 25 and I am guessing the tote board problems (early closing) from last week have something to do with that.

Oh, well, if my streak is 1 that is also fine because it means I have nothing to lose!!!

Happy New Year all

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
woozy

Post by woozy »

I either have it and it is the most unfair and far fetched meta. or I discovered the most creative and substantial and overall amazing rabbit hole ever. And I do mean EVER!

Can I ask someone to confirm which it is?

EDIT: and confirmed. I ... was actually half hoping I had found some imaginative crazy original unique and only rabbit hole. Oh well. Maybe next time.
Last edited by woozy on Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

On the board, with the help of the hint (sigh). It was a good, aha-preserving hint, but I still wish I could have done without. I wanted to see my final "This Year" tally, but the year has already been updated to 2024... so, 0 :-) Happy New Year, all!
Terragon

Post by Terragon »

I am sure I am on the right path, but very stuck now. A nudge would be very appreciated.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beamed up after a nudge from a friendly muggle.
Cindy Heisler
woozy

Post by woozy »

Hmmph.... does it say anything about a meta that when you do actually solve it you assume what you found *had* to be rabbit-hole? If a puzzle is not a 100%er is it possible to have a negative sureity percentage?

Okay... I'd say this was a 42% or so. Maybe lower.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Did the meta title give anyone else this timely earworm?
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Beamed but not sure how this could have been solved without the hint. Unless it was a miracle middle of the night type of AHA moment. Don't quite get the title either. Anyway Happy New Year muggles!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

mattythewsjpuzzler wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:15 am Beamed but not sure how this could have been solved without the hint. Unless it was a miracle middle of the night type of AHA moment. Don't quite get the title either. Anyway Happy New Year muggles!
I did use the hint, but I was dancing around it and actually tried something like the correct metanism, just in the wrong way. So I can imagine someone figuring it out without. But would definitely take a bit of luck or a lot of work.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Definitely one of those where I would've loved to grok it without the hint in retrospect. Kudos to anyone who came even close to the metanism without it!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
rjy

Post by rjy »

Poked into the Discord group solve channel for an 11th-hour collab. Had the pieces but needed the back-and-forth to realize I had the pieces. As Mikey said - wow! kudos to those who got this without the hint!
Ray
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Answer is live at Fiend, so I now present to you my sporadic series (so sporadic, I probably won't do it again) "How the Title Impacts the Meta":

Level 5: "Ring in the New"
Level 4: "Out with the Old, In with the New"
Level 3: "Goodbye '23!"
Level 2: "Goodbye '23, Hello '24!"
Level 1: "Take Each Instance of 'W' in the Clues, Replace Each 'W' with 'X,' Find an Alternate Grid Entry to Satisfy That, and Then Spell Out GLOBE, the Answer to the Meta (Whoops)"

And that's another year of MGWCCs in the book! See you all in '24!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Even after the hint, I couldn't get it. 23 was OATS (with a very unusual way to clue it), and 24 was ACE. Even reducing them to O and didn't help. Replace all the Os with As? I went to bed but woke up after an hour or so and thought . . .
Globe.jpg
So there I am, proudly in the top 225.
Jay