MGWCC #813 — “Ring in the New”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

MGWCC #813 — “Ring in the New”

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC #813 — Friday, December 29th, 2023 — “Ring in the New”

THIS WEEK’S INSTRUCTIONS:

This puzzle’s contest answer is a prop often seen on New Year’s Eve shows.

Solve well, and be not led astray by words intended to deceive.

-------------------------
NOTE: As noted, the Title is now "Ring in the New," where it originally was "Bring in the New" when the text was copied & pasted from Matt's site at this posting's date & time. The email from Patreon received at 12:04 PM ET lists the title as "Ring in the New."
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

"Bring" in the New or "Ring" in the
New?
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

WOW, over 5 hours out and NO entries - yeesh!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
HoldThatThought

Could have been answered by everyone but you and I, DrTom, no updates since 12:21, to avoid embarrassing us.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I didn't know Matt made themeless puzzles.

Let's see what my wildebeest has to say:

"In with the gnu!"
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

Yeah I have no clue on this one so far. I suspected it would be pretty hard!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I am lost in space.
Heidi
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

MGWCC leaderboard is interesting. No correct entries and no updates for seven hours. It may be that there are tons of correct answers in the queue that will pop up when Matt gets back from the Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic. The alternative is that there have been no correct entries all day long. I am leaning toward the latter. Matt did promise a nudge Saturday, it better be a good one.
HoldThatThought

Given that the leaderboard from last week's puzzle never updated after 11:14, I wonder if, perhaps, the leaderboard app crashed, and the webmaster is trying to rebuild it.

Apparently, it needs recoding that would allow it to handle deadlines beyond the traditional 12 noon on Tuesday.
MMe

Post by MMe »

Who was the nitwit that said he'd probably give us a break this week?!

Found it: https://www.xword-muggles.com/viewtopic ... 87#p151787
Joe

Post by Joe »

Psshh. Bu-bye, streak. Not even gonna look at this again. Good luck, everyone else.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

A puzzle with no solvers after most of a day is a bad puzzle. Hints over the next few days will not change that fact. I'm surprised the test solvers let this be released.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

There could be 500 entries by now. As of 12:21 PM ET, today, there was only one entry, which was incorrect. There has been no update since.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:27 pm There could be 500 entries by now. As of 12:21 PM ET, today, there was only one entry, which was incorrect. There has been no update since.
Is it possible there have been no updates because there have been no submissions after your attempt to get "1-Across"?
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

benchen71 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:33 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:27 pm There could be 500 entries by now. As of 12:21 PM ET, today, there was only one entry, which was incorrect. There has been no update since.
Is it possible there have been no updates because there have been no submissions after your attempt to get "1-Across"?
If I had to guess, it's possible. I'd think it's also possible that the site can be updated without following submissions.

ShrugGIF.gif
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Just updated. No changes.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

The site just updated! No further guesses and no correct answers.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

ElmoDancingGIF.gif
HoldThatThought

I shouldn't be telling any of you this, but the truth is that I have everyone who has ever answered first locked in my basement, watching rare, bootleg home video footage of 45 years of ACPT finals. They're getting restless, though, so I suggest that one of you better hurry up and solve this.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

This thread is so off the rails, bahaha.

I wonder if we're being punk'd (puzz'd).
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around