MEOW #161 Christmas Message

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

MEOW #161 Christmas Message

Post by DrTom »

Talk about last minute...an absolute Christmas miracle!

This was thought up, built and completely redone in a slightly more than 24 hour period. It came to me that I was not being very seasonal, so hopefully this one is.

I cannot speculate on difficulty since there are some who will IMMEDIATELY see what I am doing, some who will grok it from other things, some who will guess it and some who will struggle through the process. Whichever route you take I hope it is rewarding.

Thanks to my testers @KayW and @whimsy who got this last minute with a plea for quick turnaround, and of course they came through.

Nudges will be Friday and reveal on Tuesday

Christmas Message
crosshare
PUZ
PDF
spreadsheet

NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Darth

Post by Darth »

This cat's got it "in the bag"... Thanks, and Meowy Xmas, DrTom.
OIP (1).jpg
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Cat's free! (Mine are currently cuddled up and happy to have their humans back home.)
Attachments
PXL_20231227_024523525.jpg
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :cat: :christmas_tree: Cat is free and enjoying the holidays.

Thanks for all the puzzles and puns. And especially for taking time out of your own holiday to bring this meta Christmas message to us muggles!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Cat's out, with a mild case of deja vu! :D
Last edited by benchen71 on Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Berto

Post by Berto »

Cat released from the bag by a very kind @KayW - thank you!
boharr

Post by boharr »

The cat needed much help but is thankful.
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

My cat is having some trouble getting out...keep at it, kitty!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I got a message on Crosshare that one of my clues may be leading to a lot of searching (and it is unnecessary). It does not affect the meta, but I am changing 31D to be: "Paper containing a picture of all the states"
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Day 1
Hmmm, only 13:

1 DIS
2 Hector
3 JM
4 Darth
5 KayW (T)
6 Pair O Ducks
7 benchen71
8 woozy
9 whimsy(T)
10 frostyjhammer
11 Berto
12 boharr
13 markhr

Plus two of those are test solvers...Have I underestimated the difficulty again? Trust me, my mechanism is neither very intricate or new, but it is subtle. Depending on how many solvers I get tomorrow by noon I may have to release early nudges. I had my Christmas tossed in the hopper by a puzzle, I don't want to be the one who does that to others.

T
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

Cat's finally out with a little help. Thanks and Happy Holidays, Dr. Tom!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

The cat has scat!

Though I needed a nudge.

And I shouldn’t have. If I had only …

Oh, I should say no more.

Thanks, Dr. Tom!
Meg

Post by Meg »

I used the cat to slap my forehead. Now I have scratches on my face.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Dr. Tom! Is it noon yet?
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Halfway there? Two thirds? Just don’t know what to do with these things.
The other Wendy. :roll:
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Finally got it, with a push from a fellow muggle! I should have thought of that strategy....in fact, I did, but didn't execute. Thanks, @DrTom! Hope you create many more!
Cynthia
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Hmmmmm, still waiting for a nudge
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Thursday Solvers; 8 more join the ranks of cat releasers and it is time for nudges!

14 SamKat9
15 Cindy Weatherman
16 Meg
17 ChrisKochmanski
18 Mr Tex
19 CPJohnson
20 LauraM
21 Darrell
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Nudges:

A Christmas meta without carols, holly, elves, sleighs, or tinsel...how odd! I wonder why?

Would the phrase "The quick brown fox jumps over the hazy dog" be as cool as the original

Here I was thinking I was so clever, then I found out this had idea been used in 2021 by benchen71

There, that should do it!

T
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HeadinHome wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:34 pm Halfway there? Two thirds? Just don’t know what to do with these things.
I have shared that exact pain. I am certain you are trying to make me a better puzzler than I am and have gotten lost in a school of herring.

T