MEOW #161 Christmas Message

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Cat's out....groan. :roll: :roll: Fun one! Thanks, Dr T!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

So far all I’ve noticed is that 13A contains a term that is not fit for polite company, and is almost certainly not meta related.
KayW

Post by KayW »

sharkicicles wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:36 am So far all I’ve noticed is that 13A contains a term that is not fit for polite company, and is almost certainly not meta related.
Oh don’t go giving our constructors any new meta ideas… 😈
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Cat has been freed, but is giving me quite the side-eye for how long he was trapped in that bag. Which has nothing on the side-eye I'm casting in Dr. Tom's direction right now. Happy New Year, all!
Matthew
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MatthewL wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:26 am Cat has been freed, but is giving me quite the side-eye for how long he was trapped in that bag. Which has nothing on the side-eye I'm casting in Dr. Tom's direction right now. Happy New Year, all!
Hmmm, I see what you did there - pretty clever. I think I might be getting a lot of side-eyes this week; "drink to me only with side-eyes and I will pledge with mine"

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

KayW wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:42 am
sharkicicles wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:36 am So far all I’ve noticed is that 13A contains a term that is not fit for polite company, and is almost certainly not meta related.
Oh don’t go giving our constructors any new meta ideas… 😈
Not even I am going to expound on that one.... :lol:
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

The cat slowly made his way out of the bag... friendly muggle nudged me in the right direction. Thanks, Dr Tom. Happy New Year.
Cindy Heisler
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Eight more have joined:

22 Jeremy Smith
23 lbray53
24 rjy
25 Carolyn
26 hoover
27 Cindy Heisler
28 andeux
29 Philip Chow

I am guessing people are trying to do the MEOW rather than what seems to be an impossible MGWCC - 12+ hours and no solvers - sheesh!!!!

Well, Matt's loss is Tom's gain, thank you to all who have submitted.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

The cats out! Needed nudge to look at it a different way! Happy new year!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Ergcat wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:38 am The cats out! Needed nudge to look at it a different way! Happy new year!
Well I'm just glad you did not look the other way and not solve it.

Happy Holidays.

T
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Saturday Solvers:

30 BarbaraK
31 Ergcat
32 Mwoychick

With the MGWCC out of the way now perhaps the MEOW counter will start to pick up? Thanks to those hearty souls that gave it a try despite all the week 5 flurry on other boards!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Last solvers of the year:

33 atsirica111191
34 Tim
35 Tyrpmom
rjy

Post by rjy »

Up late I see, Dr Tom - Happy New Years to you and all of muggledom! Cheers!
Ray
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

rjy wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:41 am Up late I see, Dr Tom - Happy New Years to you and all of muggledom! Cheers!
Well heck yes, I was all full of food and booze, bedtime would just mean reflux! Hope your evening was fun and year started right.

T
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

The Reveal:

This is probably the easiest reveal I will ever have. The Christmas Message here is that the grid was constructed without any L's, so NO L or, in the Christmas Spirit NOEL. NOEL is not only a massage you hear at Christmas, but it literally MEANS Christmas, so it is most definitely a Christmas Message.

Christmas Message Graphic reveal.jpg

Thanks to the many solvers who made my Christmas better by solving this one and Musical Chair last week. It has been a good Christmas for the constructor side of me (now the solver side, that is a diffferent story!)
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Forgot to report here, but the nudges got me to the no-L pun. Shoulda known, given the author! I don’t think I would have noticed the lack of L’s for forever! The only thing I could come up with was “Pssst… sexy!” (First letters of all the vertical Christmas words was PSTSXC, which *kind of* sounds like that?). I’m pretty sure it’s a Christmas message I have not heard, even from the hubs, but it could catch on, right??

Happy new year!
The other Wendy. :roll:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HeadinHome wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:09 am Forgot to report here, but the nudges got me to the no-L pun. Shoulda known, given the author! I don’t think I would have noticed the lack of L’s for forever! The only thing I could come up with was “Pssst… sexy!” (First letters of all the vertical Christmas words was PSTSXC, which *kind of* sounds like that?). I’m pretty sure it’s a Christmas message I have not heard, even from the hubs, but it could catch on, right??

Happy new year!
I think you mean Christmas Massage, no?