MGWCC #812 — “Corner the Market” by Nam Jin Yoon

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Awaiting the beam... [Dropped into the Discord server and saw enough to get me started. That said, I back-solved most of it! Looking forward to the reveal to see if there is more solidity to the mechanism than I am seeing right now.]

... and I'm beamed at #14. :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
dandre

Post by dandre »

Awaiting the beam, but the elegance assures me that it is correct. Beautifully done. Happy Holidays all!
woozy

Post by woozy »

I know what it must be. I have no idea why or how it is that but... I know what it must be. Hopefully by monday I'll figure out why enough to earn my Christmas badge.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Beamed at #17. It is a 100%er when you see it so there must be a lot of people going for the Holly Jolly badge.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beamed!

Following the Discord confab got me going.

Happy holidays, all!
woozy

Post by woozy »

DCBilly wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:37 pm There is a GaffneyBadge for submitting on December 25...
For me, Step One was looking up "loanword."
Oh, ... oops ... I just assumed the theme was about finance. (I'm not kidding). Okay, I have know idea what the meta is now. But I have a pretty funny/clever answer if loanword were about finance.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
ChrisKochmanski

Badges? We have no use for your stinking badges!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

woozy wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:38 pm
DCBilly wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:37 pm There is a GaffneyBadge for submitting on December 25...
Oh, ... oops ... I just assumed the theme was about finance. (I'm not kidding). Okay, I have know idea what the meta is now. But I have a pretty funny/clever answer if loanword were about finance.
Money, when borrowed: "I think I'm a loan now."
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Haven’t started this one yet, but benchen’s forum sig reminds me.. I’m pretty lonely on the crosshare results for his new meta pack. Maybe give yourself a present this weekend? ;) (I’m not getting any remuneration for this, but I can be paid in crosswords. Ahem.)
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

MikeyG wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:59 pm
woozy wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:38 pm
Money, when borrowed: "I think I'm a loan now."
I’ve heard that song, but didn’t have any interest in it.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Swung and missed, trying not to care too much :-) I know I was partway there, but I didn't see how to get from what I had to an answer, and I wouldn't have a lot of time to work on it, so oh well.

I see Isaac is wearing the Santa hat! Probably has been all month, super observant I am :-)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

sharkicicles wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:41 am Haven’t started this one yet, but benchen’s forum sig reminds me.. I’m pretty lonely on the crosshare results for his new meta pack. Maybe give yourself a present this weekend? ;) (I’m not getting any remuneration for this, but I can be paid in crosswords. Ahem.)
It's a deal! :D

Indeed, @sharkicicles is the only one to be posting on the MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack metas so far. It's definitely more fun with a group!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Beamed with the help of discord group solve. Would never have gotten there on my own but I love watching some incredible minds work together. I've got whiplash just keeping up, but still loved the "aha" moment. Happy Holidays everyone and thanks for all the wonderful memories this year
EquityJam

Post by EquityJam »

This is my first month doing the MGWCC. I arrived at the answer to the prior 3 metas pretty quickly, but this one is giving me fits. Sorry for the noob question, but what are the details on the Discord chat? Thanks!
ChrisKochmanski

sharkicicles wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:41 am Haven’t started this one yet, but benchen’s forum sig reminds me.. I’m pretty lonely on the crosshare results for his new meta pack. Maybe give yourself a present this weekend? ;) (I’m not getting any remuneration for this, but I can be paid in crosswords. Ahem.)
I’m about halfway through the pack. Fun! Doing them on paper. Should I be entering meta answers on Crosshare??
kchkchkchkch

Post by kchkchkchkch »

Would also love a link to the discord!
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

The first hint was a good one. With it I've made a lot of progress, but haven't solved yet.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

already have the badge, so just submitted

the path to the solution is very nice when you find it - 110%
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

kchkchkchkch wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:46 am Would also love a link to the discord!
https://discord.gg/USGZxbjs
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
woozy

Post by woozy »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:58 pm already have the badge, so just submitted

the path to the solution is very nice when you find it - 110%
But that's the weird thing. Absolutely every verification and hint seems to imply that I *have* found it...